dying chaeto??

catfishcity

i have some chaeto in my fuge and it is turning like a white-green color. is it dying. if so what could be causing this.

scsinet

Insufficient light, insufficient water flow, or insufficient nutrients.
My first suspects would be the first two. It's pretty hard to find a tank that doesn't have sufficient nutrients to support chaeto.

florida joe

It's pretty hard to find a tank that doesn't have sufficient nutrients to support chaeto.
What were you nitrate readings before you introduced the Cheato? Your tank may be in equilibrium now and the Cheato in the refug may be at the end of the food line

catfishcity

ok the chaeto is in the fuge of my frag tank that got added during the cycle. it has been about two months since then. is it possible that it is getting to much light? i doubt that there is to little of flow because it is always moving around.

florida joe

Originally Posted by catfishcity
http:///forum/post/3133983
ok the chaeto is in the fuge of my frag tank that got added during the cycle. it has been about two months since then. is it possible that it is getting to much light? i doubt that there is to little of flow because it is always moving around.
it may be getting to little food

catfishcity

well i havent been feeding the tank because i have no fish in there right now and i just added corals last week. i am going to start feeding phyto for my corals

chaseter

If you have no fish and aren't adding any food to the tank then there is no nitrate source to feed the chaeto. Of course it is going to die! It has no food.