Dying Coral and Trate levels

total

Would a Dying coral raise the nitrate levels in a tank. The reason I ask, my white leather seems do be dying slowly, and I'm trying to keep it alive but my trate levels are slowly going up and I woundering if it is this coral that's causing it. If its the case then I'll pitch it. One coral isn't worth my tank. Thanks
TTFN

burnnspy

Yes, anything that dies rots into ammonia and is then converted into nitrites then nitrates. What are the water parameters and equipment in the tank? It may be possible to save it still. Do a water change to reduce the toxins in the water.
BurnNSpy

jacques

Your rising nitrate could indeed be due to the floundering coral. Anything dead or decaying will increase the nitrates. Good luck,
J

Or high nitrates could be causing your leather to die. Do a water change before you get rid of it.
Would a slowly dying leather really raise your nitrates that much? Maybe if it were melting but then it wouldn't be dying slowly otherwise I don't think a degrading coral should be giving off enough ammonia to convert to noticable nitrates. I would look elsewhere for the problem. IMHO
SiF
PS I do agree though a "past the point of saving" coral will raise Nitrate levels
[ April 30, 2001: Message edited by: slowest is fastest ]

total

It was the coral. I got rid of it this weekend and the trate levels are comming back down. I really didn't want to pitch it but it keep getting softer and started to flake around the edges. I think the reason it had such a hard time is when I first got it about a month ago I had to handle it so many times to get it into the rock formation.
Every time I'ld get it right the thing would fall over in the middle of the night. Face down. This happen at least 5 times. When I'ld come home from work or wake up in the morning. I feel bad mainly becouse this is my first loose. The cost doesn't matter, it the fact that I had a hand in a living creatures death.
Owell on to the next one. Thanks for the replies.
TTFN