dying fish

kdrifter44

I was moving this weekend
I had a 37 gal tall tank
I had to move a clownfish and a damsel into a 5 gal tank for transport.
Before I transported the main tank it was on the floor and carpet cleaner got spashed real bad into it so trashed the whole tank and everything.
So I went my new place with the clownfish and the damsel and in the morning the damsel was dead and the clownfish was at the top gasping for air. I looked it up and think Ammonia is a symptom of the fish gasping at the top of the water.
They had only been in there 12 hours how would Ammonia build up that fast.
Instead of letting the clownfish die I put him into a bucket of spring water.
It took a few hours to clean out the 5 gal tank with white vinger and added all new R/0 water and salt. Put the heater in etc.
Put him in there tonight and he still is moving around gasping and messed up.
any one know what I should do? for the long term?

luvmyreef

Originally Posted by kdrifter44
http:///forum/post/3149375
I was moving this weekend
I had a 37 gal tall tank
I had to move a clownfish and a damsel into a 5 gal tank for transport.
Before I transported the main tank it was on the floor and carpet cleaner got spashed real bad into it so trashed the whole tank and everything.
So I went my new place with the clownfish and the damsel and in the morning the damsel was dead and the clownfish was at the top gasping for air. I looked it up and think Ammonia is a symptom of the fish gasping at the top of the water.
They had only been in there 12 hours how would Ammonia build up that fast.
Instead of letting the clownfish die I put him into a bucket of spring water.
It took a few hours to clean out the 5 gal tank with white vinger and added all new R/0 water and salt. Put the heater in etc.
Put him in there tonight and he still is moving around gasping and messed up.
any one know what I should do? for the long term?
Hello, wow that really sucks about your tank.....sorry to hear it.....
So you had your clown in a bucket of spring water for a couple hours? that might be a problem. Do you plan on setting your bigger tank back up? If so, I would def. get that started. Meanwhile, test your parameters on the 5 gal tank where the clown is. there is something called "cycle" it is not a chemical, it is supposed to be the beneficial bacteria you need in a bottle. That will help if you have no other biological filtration. to break down that ammonia. Also, I would add an air stone in the corner temporarily if you did not have time to mix salt, air it, etc....unless you have other water movement.

kdrifter44

I threw out my large tank when the carpet cleaner spilled in it.
The clownfish is in a 10 gal tank with charcoal filter for water movement.
New R/O water, salt levels are at what he is use to and temp brought back up to what he is use to.
He seems happy and is acting normal...
how do I keep the ammonia down?
Can I add live sand will his waste start the cycle process?

luvmyreef

http:///forum/post/3149545
I threw out my large tank when the carpet cleaner spilled in it.
The clownfish is in a 10 gal tank with charcoal filter for water movement.
New R/O water, salt levels are at what he is use to and temp brought back up to what he is use to.
He seems happy and is acting normal...
how do I keep the ammonia down?
Can I add live sand will his waste start the cycle process?

Well, you do need some biological filtration to keep the cycle going...ammonia to nitrite then to nitrate. Adding sand will probably start cycling the tank. It would be good if you could purchase a chunk of fully cured live rock from a local pet store, if it is not too far away from you and the rock is kept in water, there should be little to no die off. Then, I would add sand slowly, sections at a time over a few days or even a week. so your biological filtration from the rock will help keep the ammonia converted.
This is all just a suggestion of course. Glad to hear he is doing good!!

kdrifter44

im going to get live rock today but overnight the water got cloudy again
and smelled is that ammonia?
how often should i do water changes out to get rid of the ammonia?
and what % of water should I change out?

flower

http:///forum/post/3150043
im going to get live rock today but overnight the water got cloudy again
and smelled is that ammonia?
how often should i do water changes out to get rid of the ammonia?
and what % of water should I change out?

I would not have tossed out the tank...
The live rock is a great idea. The cloudy water is indeed ammonia...do a 50%water change.
Go back to LFS and see if the have some already bacteria saturated filter media they could give you to balance things out. If they are planning a water change, see if you can get the old water in a 5g jug.

ophiura

Also get some prime or other additives for ammonia; if they do not have cured live rock then I would get some biospira (the refrigerated stuff)
If you are in a big city, find your local reef club, and post an emergency request for either a cycled QT you can leave the fish in or some LR.

kdrifter44

I went to ***** to 2 days ago to buy some live rock but they did not have it as they never have it in stock. I bought some live sand instead and the tank was clear and smelt fine the next day.
I went last night to a local fish store to buy the live rock but they are out of business I guess I will have to get it online.

oceandude

I am sorry to hear about the problems with the move, tank, and fish demise. I have to bag up over 50 fish plus inverts, plus coral and 6 tanks at the end of the month, and have done it before, so I feel your pain as many here have probably done too.
You have had much good advice so far. If it's cool, I would like to add my 2 cents worth.
I am a bit surprised about the Damsel dying before a clown would. The clown is in like the top 5 to cycle with but I think the Damsel and Chromis are maybe the top two. I'm sure you know the Chromis is the social branch of the Damsel family.
I have cycled a tank before with a healthy Clown, but will never do it again. She only lived 2 years after that. I would be worried about yours after enduring a 2 hour fresh water dip. I think the stress might be more than he/she could take at the moment. Wish I were close by to "fish sit" for you. Do you have any friends who are addicts, err hobbyists like we are that could help out? Or a friend in the LFS who could?
So here's where I might rock the boat and I apologize if I do because I mean no disrespect. The store you mentioned...well...The Catalina Water there is great but I don't know many who shop there. Are there any LFS near you?
I would let the tank alone at this point because it will not cycle as long as you continue the big water changes.
As mentioned in an earlier post there are products that are natural to promote a cycle time of a week or two at the most. I got scolded by a member for mentioning it in a post because "it is a chemical"... NOT according to the company, and can only say that I have cycled tanks with it being effective, safe and fast. Don't know if the board member had used it, but I doubt it since I read what I did from them.

Wish I could help more. Best regards and keep us posted. BTW, don't beat yourself up about it. You did the best you could with what you had, and that is something I'm sure we can all respect. ;)