Dying Lion

fulcrum

My Red volitan lion has not eaten in three weeks. Water parameters are fine, other fish including other lion are doing very well.
After researching on this site I have concluded that he has a broken jaw. He shows interest in food, but will not (or can not) open his mouth.
Either way, he is wasting away.
I thought about euthanizing him, but I really dont know of a "humane" way to do it.
Anyone's thoughts would be apprciated (either to help him, or help me put him out of his misery)

D

daniel411

Thats really sad to hear. Are you capable of force feeding him with forceps? I have no idea if its even possible to force feed a fish. Are you absolutely sure he just can't open his mouth?
I've heard of placing them in the freezer as a humane way... but never tried it myself, not sure how quick or painless it would be.

fulcrum

I've tried forcing food into his mouth, and actually had success on one occasion, the problem was the krill was hanging out of his mouth halfway, and he couldn't do anything about it. I guess the motion of lunging at the food with the mouth open sucks food in. Without that ability he just couldn't get the food completely into his mouth.
I thought about the freezing thing.....I even tried to do it yesterday, but figured I'd try one post on here to see if anyone could help.