Dying Refugium Part 2

fulcrum

OK. Last thread concerned the fact that I was having trouble keeping Chaeto alive in my newly plumbed refugium. If you need specifics, search for dying refugium.
I increased my lighting to a 96 watt fixture. Its 6700K. Even though Bang said it probably wasnt a flow problem I put a small powerhead in the fuge just to keep the water circulating better (its a small rio with a control valve to keep it to a minimum, so its not excessive flow).
The chaeto still dies. I'm guessing that the chaeto dying has released phosphates into my system, because now I have a cyano bloom of ridiculous proportions.
What gives? I show about 20ppm nitrates. Clearly there's now phosphates, I have light, I have flow, and the chaeto turns pale over a few days then falls apart. WTF?

fulcrum

I am going to try bumping this one more time. I have been at this hobby for 5 very successful years now, and I have come to rely on this board for extremely helpful information. I am about to the point where I scrap the whole refugium if I cant get some direciton on what might be going wrong.

saltn00b

the light should be strong enough....
have you tested for phosphates? what are they?
is the cheato tumbling around, or caught on something?

fulcrum

I have not tested for phosphates recently. My LFS was out of individual PO4 kits this past weekend (and I didnt want to buy one of the big combo kits).
I have a cyano bloom going on right now, so I assume phosphates are certainly present, though I dont have a value.
The chaeto is fairly stationary (as it is in my other system, where it flourishes).
From my first thread, I mentioned that I have a refugium on my other tank which is performing exceptionally well, with the same light fixture.
I've never checked for iron. How does it figure into the plant food equation?

andy51632

Any thing you do different between your 2 tanks? Do you have anything living in the tank with the dying chaeto?

fulcrum

They are both FOWLR. One is 110 gallons, the other is 92. Lighting shceme is same (hours, K value, etc)
The 110 (the one with the good refugium is a specially designed refugium sump). The 92 is a sump that i converted to refugium, so maybe its a flow issue (although it should be fine according to Bang Guy)
I started adding trace elements to correct for any iron or other chemical deificieny. I'll let you know what happens.