dying ricordia?

vinopa30

I have green ricordia that has turned orange around the outside (almost to a brown at the very edge) and nearly translucent in the middle. Is it dying or on its way out?
Just tested water:
Amm: 0
Ph: 8.1
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:10
Temp: 79
Lighting is: 65w 10k and 65w actinic (for a 46gal). The coral is positioned about 12" from surface.
Any ideas of what to do or what to expect?

vinopa30

about 6months. I just got another fixture (250w 20k halide w/ two 65w actinics) but I'm still waiting for the halide bulb. I'm running about 8 hours of light a day.

vinopa30

Thanks, I'll make sure to place it in a medium/low light level when I get the new light going. Right now it's only getting med/low lighting.

crzyfshygy

It s not dying........its begining to split into multiples. Mine does the same thing before it truns into many. I would leave it alone...peramiters are fine for it. One day it will look smaller...then you have one floating around the bottom.

beadmaker

I got one a few weeks ago. The name implies green ricordia. mine is not green similar in color to above. should it be green?

mattmc

Your getting alot of bad information. They need a lot of light and at least medium water flow. The worst thing you can do is keep moving it around your tank, don't move it up or down more then 6 inches in any 7 days. The halides are a good idea.
Good luck

hagfish

If it's not disentigrating or turning into a brown jelly like substance it is still OK. If it has bleached a little it probably wasn't getting enough light.
If it does disentigrate or turn to jelly, I suggest moving it away from other rics and try to blow away the jelly or leftover disentigration with a baster. Otherwise it seems to spread.

beadmaker

mine looks like the brown variant. firm and opens during the day and closes at night. Was kinda expecting a green ricordia

tx reef

Originally Posted by mattmc
Your getting alot of bad information. They need a lot of light and at least medium water flow. The worst thing you can do is keep moving it around your tank, don't move it up or down more then 6 inches in any 7 days. The halides are a good idea.
Good luck
You're giving bad information.
Ricordias are NOT a high light demanding coral. I have one in my 5 gallon at work under a 20 watt PC and it has grown a lot and split twice.
When you put that MH lighting on, be sure to light acclimate your corals or you will shock them. I had to move my ricordias down near the bottom of my tank after I got my halides.

hagfish

IME, ricordia will generally do fine in medium light. Some will do better in lower light and some will do better in higher light. I definitely wouldn't say that they require high light. They will be fine under PC's.
I have a few that have crawled totally underneath one rock and I think the only light they are getting is that which reflects off of the sand. And I imagine that's not much. They look just like the other 50 or so polyps of that ricordia that I have with slight differences in color based on placement and such.

swlover

Originally Posted by beadmaker
mine looks like the brown variant. firm and opens during the day and closes at night. Was kinda expecting a green ricordia
They will change colors, with age, feeding and light. Blue spectrum will bring out the more vibrant colors, true daylight will make it washed out looking. I have a teal blue one that looks almost powder blue in bright light. They have a wide range of light needs, some do great in lower levels while others seem to do well in bright light..I agree with Tx reef & hagfish.

swlover

Originally Posted by mattmc
Good luck
Where are you getting your info from? They are very hardy animals, they are known for their lower lighting needs, mine grow quickly and split often and I don't have MH. MH are not the sulution to everything that comes down the pike, water quality is more likely the problem if mushrooms are failing.

crzyfshygy

Originally Posted by TX Reef
You're giving bad information.
Ricordias are NOT a high light demanding coral. I have one in my 5 gallon at work under a 20 watt PC and it has grown a lot and split twice.
When you put that MH lighting on, be sure to light acclimate your corals or you will shock them. I had to move my ricordias down near the bottom of my tank after I got my halides.

YOU BEAT ME TO THE PUNCH!
I have every color imaginable in Ricordia. Blue, Green purple edge, Yellow blue center, pink puple centers, all purple, peach green centers. I frag them and have had them for some time now. Probably spent on it al over $700 bucks. These coralmorphs are best under low to moderate light, however mine are under halides at the bottom and hidden kinda and do great. They eat when feed and are very hardy...grat colorfull corals.

hagfish

crzyfshygy, what are you feeding your rics? And do you think it has an effect on how quickly they multiply?
I've got about 75 to 100 rics. About 75% are yuma's. I've rarely fed them. Mostly because they would rarely eat the food in the past. Lately I've tried again and some of the florida rics are eating now. None of my florida's spread even close to as fast as my yuma's. My yuma's are my fastest spreading coral. So I'd like to get the florida's to spread faster if possible.