Dying Toadstool?

bsktmom

I have had a Leather Toadstool for over a year and a half. It has been slumped over and it hasn't opened for the past week. I am guessing it is dying. I can't take the rock out that it is attached to without dismantling half of my tank. I have a couple of questions: How can I tell if it is really dead? and can I just cut it off the rock while it is in my tank? My params are: 80 degrees, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 0 nitrates, ph 8.0, calcium 400. Thanks.

devilboy

it maybe alright, i believe toadstools and other leathers can do that from time to time, i dont know the exact word for it but it has something to do with shedding their skin.

acrylic51

Mine did the exact same thing about a year ago and 1 day it acted like nothing happened and now it's about the size of a volleyball......Still can't figure out what was wrong....nothing else seemed ill in the tank at that time????

kjord97

I know my leather is now about the size of a softball at the head. About every 2-3 months, it closes up to the ugliest thing in the tank, then in about 3 days, it opens up and seems to be bigger. During the process of it being ugly, it is sheeding off black skin, it is just a molting process. The thing about leathers, is no matter where you cut them, they will grow back to new in about 30 days. Good luck sit back and just wait ***)

monalisa

We just went through the same thing with our devil's hand leather. For about a week and a half or more, it was curled into a little brown fist. I thought it was dying too, but just about the time I decided maybe I should remove it, it started to stretch out bigger and more beautiful than before.
I say give it some time. Your toadstool may just be taking a "time out".
Lisa :happyfish

bsktmom

This morning it is still slumped over but the polyps look like they are starting to come out. I hope so because it was really big and pretty when it was out. Thanks for all the help everyone. I will just wait and see. :joy: