eclipse hood lighting question

jtutton

I have an eclipse hood on both my tanks. Is there any reason I couldn't just remove the light fixture they come with and replace it with a higher wattage fixture I buy online? I see on some of the web sites that there are lighting fixtures that look the same shape as the eclipse ones I have. The fixture in the eclipse has its own cord and looks like it's just screwed in place.
Anyone have this kind of system and retrofitted it?
I think I could do it myself since I'm pretty mechanical and I don't think it would affect the filtration at all. I see some lighting fixtures that come with fans.
Thanks,
Jane

reefnut

Is there any reason I couldn't just remove the light fixture they come with and replace it with a higher wattage fixture I buy online?
That would work fine if you can fit enough lighting in the lid.
Anyone have this kind of system and retrofitted it?

I have a Eclipse System 6 (6g) that I put a 32w PC in. Works great. I had to add a couple fans in the hood due to the heat though.

jtutton

thanks reefnut,
I don't want hard corals, just fish, LR, coraline, maybe some shrooms and possibly an anemone. I was wondering if the heat would warp the lid at all.
I decided to go with the 14 in 32 watt for my eclipse 1 on my 15 gal. at work and the 24 in. 65 watt for my 29 gal, eclipse 3 at home. I can always remove that and upgrade again if need be, just don't want to overdo it at first.
Jane

reefnut

The heat should not warp the hood... mine hasn't.
Most anemones will require more lighting than what you're planning.

jtutton

Thanks again, I figure if I don't think the 65 watts is enough, I can always sell that and upgrade to the 130 watt double light system. I just want to make sure that I don't get into a situation where I have too much light and need to deal with the heat issue.
A friend of mine at work has a 20 gal. with 55 watt PC over her tank and her bubble tip is doing great as are her xenia and mushrooms. She has no LR, so the critters are pretty low in the tank, my tank at home has LR almost to the top of the tank, so there's lots of options for critters to choose the lighting level they want.