Eclipse Upgrade

ilove2ride

I have a 24 gallon eclipse thats 12.5 inches by 24 inches long. I would like to get a protien skimmer, which means I have to charnge the hood (right?) So, what kind of hood could I get? I have a ClearLIfe tank, acrylic. Thanks!
-Heather

viper12775

i had the same problem with my 20 long i had an eclipse 3 hood i had to cut the hood on the right side in the back and put a seaclone skimmer it's not bad didnt really hurt the hood any

viper12775

thats it you can do some mod's to the skimmer to make it work better but that should work on that small of a tank

viper12775

it was late when i posted i didnt read your last post right i ment the back right side not where the water pump is at least my power cords are with the water pump mine is on the other side if thats makes since if not let me know

viper12775

ya the bio wheel side i guess you could take the bio wheel out but if you use the seaclone you wont have to theres just enough room i think people have put backpack skimmers on our hood to but im not sure but there a much better skimmer

ilove2ride

Thank you so much for your help. My LFS was convinced there was NO way to add a skimmer to my tank. haha! They were saying "Yeah, if we could do that we could sell tons of these"
:D :D

twoods71

I ran one for awhile myself. Just a little minor cutting was all that was needed to make the skimmer fit.

viper12775

thats the seaclone i was looking for that pic i saw it somewhere when i was looking to install a protein skimmer on my eclipse

twoods71

As viper12775 mentioned it is a seaclone.
Many people bash the seaclone for not working but as you can see by the picture mine is working nicely.
The picture is from a 29 a had set up for years. I have now moved to a 55 and still run the seaclone.

alanh

I also was told not to attempt cutting my hood by the LFS because leaks would occur. Anybody had any problems with that?

twoods71

No leaks at all.
It was awhile back so I cant remember all the details of the cut I made, I just remember I didnt need to cut too much and I just kind of expanded the hole that is already there.
Also if anyone is interested I added extra lighting so I could start keeping some of the low light corals. Here is a picture.

viper12775

i added a 55 watt pc retro kit from that pet place on my eclipse it was around $60 and that included the 50/50 smartlight it made a but diifernce and the hood looked like it was never touched

ryebread

I just ordered the CPR Bak Pak 2r for my Eclipse top. It will need some cutting of course but, it is not huge. It should work pretty well. I also did a 65Watt PC conversion on the hood and my corals have been thriving.