Eco-Wheel from Aquatic Engineers

reeferx

It's an interesting concept, but you have to pay to play - $3000 - $4000! :eek: And it takes quite a bit more to set up than the average filter. May be more suited for a fish tank than a reef tank too.

madd catt

The eco wheel is also supposed to to produce plankton and be an algea scrubber . that would work in a reef tank.i thought the price was lower though.

reeferx

Well the giant bio-wheel and the bio-balls made me think that the thing might kick out some nitrates. But with a ton of algae on it, maybe not.
I am pretty sure I am in the price range. Some guy on another site has one and I believe he paid over 3g. I am not sure if that was the full-blown model or what. But I bet the base ain't cheap either. I tried digging up the price, but it is not to be found on their Web site.

cwfish

Just curious, why is this unit so expensive? From the pics it doesn't look all that large and its using standard filtration techniques from what I can see, although I don't know the details of the unit.

reeferx

Because they are so 'revolutionary.' ;)
I found the thread with the price of one eco-wheel setup:
"I think I spent about $3500 not including the stand and lights over the tank. It is not cheap but worth it in my book."
:eek:

slothy

it better start your car, clean the dishes and mow the lawn for that much money.....

jasonreed42

thanks you guys. It looks so simple in the diagram and seemed very logical to me. however, the diagram gives little detail. of course wet/dry systems were revolutionary 15 years ago.
if anyone has any definite info, pls pass it on.