EcoSystem Aquarium Filters ? . ? . ? .

little

I am looking to by a new filter for my 20gl reef that I can use when I upgrade to a larger thank. My lf is a dealer for EcoSystem filters and Yes he is pushing for me to buy one. What he has told me sounds good what I have seen on there website looks good to. But what I would like to know is what you think. If you are using this filter would you tell me how it is working for you? I was looking at the HOB EcoSystem 40. Also if you have one what did you pay?
Thanks
Little

rook

I have the eco 40. I love it, it works great. However, I am not convinced that it is any different than making your own refugium. The only real difference is the mud, which supposedly has minerals and such in it. If you want, you could make your own refugium and buy ecosystem mud to fill it with. There are several successful ways to run a refugium though. Some with mud, some with a dsb, some with algae some dark with just liverock and critters, etc, etc.
I don't remember what I paid. Maybe in the realm of $300. That was four - five years ago.

little

Thank you for responding to my post. I am glad your EcoSystem is working well for you. I know that the key to there system is there mud and was thinking about building a refugium and then add there mud. Although I think it may cost more to build one then to buy one that has it all in one. Plus what does the mud cost? On there site it says to do a 50% mud change every two years. I think the HOB holds 3 pounds and I don’t know what size bags they sell. $300 is what my LF is selling them for and that includes every thing pump, over flow, mud, bio balls, and plumbing. So my real question can I make a Good Workable Regugium with EcoSystem mud for around $300?
More comments are welcome . . .
Thanks
Little

I also have the eco 40 and it works great.
Yeah, you could make one for around 300, but Im not sure it would be worth it. I dont know how you would make a hob, but you could make a sump. Then you have to make sure the overflow matches the pump and deal with all the hassels of a sump. Id stick to the eco 40. Especially because if you have problems with it you can go complain to the LFS guy or send it back. If you have problems with a hommade fuge your s.o.l.