Ecosystem..doesn't need skimmer..how?

fishieness

hey... look, i know this thread is old..... But i actualy did s erch for shawnts above to see how the moorish idol is doing.... so if you are still there, why not an update? I serched you because i havent seen you post in a long time, as this will show because it is yourmost recent one.
buuuuuut i do have some things to say: First of all if you are there shawnts, 99% does NOT mean that there are only 100 peopl in this hobby, you are the one who needs a math class.....
buuuuut, IMO, if you do use the method above... the "no water change" one, IMO, it is just a way to be lazy and cheep and make yourself feel like you are oding something good...... I just had to put that in because i dont want anyone serching on these threads, seeing this, and doing it.....

but shawnts, are you going to update us on that idol yet like you had promised? If you are even still on this board? I dont know.... Maybe i am wasteing my time bringing this thread back
sorry to bring back an old thread..... I just want to know about the idol and what happened/is happening....

acrylic51

Yeah lets see an update....Again like I said or maybe I should use percentages since they are taken out of context, but you won't find to many people in the hobby period that go along with the theory of no water changes........Just can't see the longevity of a system like that.....Granted you can add all the chemicals in the world to replace what is being used up but your still not doing the creatures justice......Let's see and update!!!!!!

snailheave

i run one with a skimmer. i think it's necessary judging by the scum it produces

and i do a tiny water change once a month. i am fairly certain i could do it every other month but i choose to do so monthly to, as mentioned before, replenish elements.

skimmer22

Hi, I'm new to posting here, but recently I read an article in coral magazine on a guy who tested the ecosystem for seven years and said it was a good system. The only thing he would change is adding a skimmer and he said you need to change out half the mud every year. Hope that helps.

acrylic51

Still don't buy it, and I don't want to misquote anyone, but I think TonyDetroit summed it up best in another thread about water changes is "the solution is dilution".....Meaning you will and will get a buildup of stuff you need to get out of the system and with water changes and frequent your diluting the pollution in the system........Don't remember the thread but if you do a search and read his thoughts it makes good sense.......

acrylic51

The thread I was referring to is in the DIY forum under beginner equipment handbook and here is............
Maintenance
Waterchanges-At a minimum I recommend you do 20% monthly. I do 30gal weekly myself on 180gal. Some say you don't need to do waterchanges, I myself think they are just lazy. I cannot think of 1 bad thing a waterchange done right will do bad. A good quote to remember: " The Best Solution for Pollution is Dillution".
A waterchange should be done with the precise amount of salt each time, and the temperature of the water should be the same as that in the tank. The salt should be mixed for a minimum of a couple hours before adding to the tank so levels can stabilize. The creatures in our tanks are very sensitive and are cold blooded. Make sure your waterchange water is as close to the water in the tank as possible. Every now and then you will need to vary the amount of salt in your waterchange water to make up for evaporation over time. Do so very carefully. Most reefs run around 1.025 salinity. The best way to measure salinity is with a refractometer. Get one of these and test your salt the right way, swing arm hydrometers are very inconsistent and inaccurate, stay away.
Filterpads should be changed at a minimum every other week. I change mine 2x a week just to be safe and to get waste out before it decays.
Skimmer cleaning should be done weekly to make sure your skimmer is performing optimally.
Carbon and other absorbing medias should be changed as necessary. As a rule of thumb, change your carbon every other week. Change phosphate removers when you detect higher than normal levels of phosphate. Some medias change color as they absorb such as purigen or poly pads. These are very good medias as well, both remove loads of waste.
Strainers on pumps and drains should be cleaned at least once a month so flow is not inhibited. Waste detritus accumulating anywhere visible should be washed away or siphoned out.
Glass should be clean all the time if your tank is filtered right. I clean mine around 2-3 times a week. On poorly filtered tanks you will see it get dirty daily. I really like to do a good cleaning right before I change filterpads and media to make sure I use it as best I can.
When running pieces of equipment such as UV sterilizers, Reactors, etc. try to supply them with water that has already been filtered with pads, this will aid in cleanliness and better water quality.
Bulbs for whether it be halides, UV, VHO, or powercompact should all be changed at around a year's time. All bulbs lose spectrum as they age.
a bit of it, but good reading........

jer4916

I run an ecosystem filter in my tank with a SMALL protein skimmer thats designed for a 55 gallon ...(note i have a 125gallon tank and a 35 gallon refigum) anyways I do believe in water changes...just adding fresh water every day to keep the sal. right is a baaaaaaaaad idea...i do a 30% water change about every 40 days....I do it simply because i get paraniod if i dont....i dont completely think my tank needs it....but its only $14 for the ro water ...and a trip to the store...so i might as well.
seems to me peoplle who arn't willing to do them are extremely lazy. even if the fish are doing well im sure on some level they need "new" water every now and then...heck look at the ocean...it rains allllllllllllll the time..and crap leaves on the beachs....water is getting replaced there....hehe
~Chris

fishieness

Originally Posted by Jer4916
seems to me peoplle who arn't willing to do them are extremely lazy.
~Chris

This has been said numerous times, but im just posting to say that i fully agree

jer4916

:joy: Its seriously true...people can push the limits on water changes and see how far they can go...or they can simply take an hour of there time to treat there animals decent...here quick....lets see how long we can go without feeding our kids!...yeah sure they can make it a few days...doesn't mean its good for them!

ddboy

I Have The Ecosystem Pro Series On My 150g, And It Comes With The Asm G3 Skimmer. It Works Great, And The Owner's Manual Said To Use It At Night For About 8 Hrs Or So A Day. And I Still Do My Weekly Water Change. My Fish Are Very Healthy And My Anenomes Even Spitting Into 3. So Far I Have No Complain About The System And I Have My System Set Up For About 9 Months Now. I Have 8 Fishes And 3 Anenomes And Xenia In My Tank.

golfish

Some where in San Diego Ca. there's a deep hole in some guys backyard. Anybody have any idea what he calls the stuff he pulls out of this hole?
I'm sure these Ecosystem work very well but I really don't see the difference between an Ecosystem and a Refugium that has a DSB using sugar size sand
Well, the cost is different.

ddboy

I think the cheapest way is to build one yourself and I don't think there are much different than regular sand versus the mud. But I am just stating my experience. I am not saying it is better than others. but my fishes are healthy and I would recommend a skimmer if there is fish in the tank.

snailheave

it's designed and built elegantly. for those of us who don't have the time and skill, it's a price i'd gladly pay.