Ecosystem question

rook

I definately stopped taking their advice. There livestock actually looks good. Normally. But they vaccum the cc and do major amounts of maintainance. Way too much for me. I have a full-time job. Also, they are extremely overpriced.

trompet3

They happen to have some of the best livestock in the country. People come from other states just to shop there. Their dry goods happen to be very expensive, but so are any LFS's - they have way more overhead than online stores, so I can't blame them. Their advice depends on who you get it from. Some people haven't been there for too long and others happen to be great resources. Unfortunately, over the last few years, a couple of their "human encyclopedia's" have left for other jobs including working at the wholesaler. They do care about your tank and the inhabitants though, they will not let you take home things you cannot or should not take care of. Plus, they are the only store in the U.S. I think that got a certification for the way the fish are caught, transferred, and stored - from the ocean to the wholesaler, to the store. So you know they are more responsible and care a little more than the average business.
However, in regards to cc vs sand bed, I disagree with you. I prefer cc, and it isn't one of those right or wrong issues. It's similar to lighting preferences, ecosystem vs. refugium, and even this debate - skimmer vs no skimmer. There are pros and cons of both. I have cc and do not have to perform any maintenance on it whatsoever. Sand bed is too much of a hassle and mess for me and doesn't provide anything to my system that isn't there already.

rook

I agree that they do have a couple of people who seem to really know there stuff, but I never get to see them, or at least rearly. Do you work there??? Or, have you???
In regards to the cc vs dsb, you don't do anymaintainance on your cc? You don't vaccum it? Do you have a skimmer?
From what I have been told with a cc, you trap nitrates and nitrites in the cc, whereas in the dsb you don't. I believe it is because critters can not penetrate the cc as well and thus airate it and mix it up. Thus you have to either perform weekly or bi-weekly water changes and vaccum it, or skim.
I am attempting to avoid skimming. I want the system to as natural as I can get it, also, I don't want to remove the good things skimming removes. I am still researching this though.
Ideally, if It works this way, I would like to have a dsb, liverock, an ecosystem style refugium, and mangroves. No mechanical filtration at all. Not sure if this will achieve the system I am aiming for but like I said, I am still learning.
What do you, or anyone else, think????

trompet3

I have such a thin layer of CC that trapping the detritus isn't really an issue for me. I also try to have a lot of water movement in the tank including at the CC, so all that will get turned up anyway. I do worry that with sand and the current that the sand will stir up and cause a mess. I am moving in a few months and will probably change it to sand, but not a deep sand bed. I will probably only put a 1" layer - more for looks. I have an ecosystem that has a sand bed about 2 1/2 - 3 inches deep. I'm probably going to add to that when I move. I have no objection to dsb at all, I actually believe in it, I just don't think it is necessary, especially with my sand in the ecosystem. I've had my tank for 4 years and have never had a problem or elevation of nitrates. If I were to start from scratch, I would go dsb, but not if I don't have a problem now. Plus I have way to much money invested in this tank now that I wouldn't even risk the ill effects of a possible cycle when moving, if I chose to do the switch then.
No, I don't work and have never worked at the store, just been here for the last seven years and going there for 4-5yrs, so I've seen them come and go. Wasn't trying to sound like I was selling the store or anything, they just happen to be the rare family owned store that actually cares about your pets, etc.
I'm not convinced about the skimmer taking good nutrients that other systems won't. I would never go without the skimmer. I did for a while, and nothing but trouble happened. But, that's not to say you can't. Some people never skim and never do water changes, and make a good case, but I just don't think that we will ever be able to reproduce the ocean. The ocean happens to be so big that you don't need a water change! I don't think that aquariums can ever simply recycle everything in the water, no matter how much we try.
Can't speak for mangroves, don't know much about them.
For anybody - as for my question above, will current stir up the sand if I put around a 1" bed?

trompet3

Oh, also, if I did use a 1" sand bed, will the cleanup crew take care of everything so I don't need to worry about the maintenance? I know this is so for the dsb, just wanting to know if it's true for any depth sand bed?

steel

my tank has only been set up for about 4 months i have a bout a 1" sand bed with cc. i havent been in the salt water hobby for long but i do know people that have been doing this for years. but i have some sand sifting crabs and they love it i dont see them that much most of the time i just see a mound of sand moving across the tank but they move and put air in the sand. its kinda the best of both worlds i guess.
other than that can some one tell me if i build a refugium and the pods grow i know they will get sucked up in to the tank but wont the pump kill them or the impeller????
Thanks
Travis

leboeuf

pods will survive. its basically pressure that passes them thru the impeller. They are small enough to survive, for the most part. I have seen dozens of pods and little shrimp climbing around the intake of the return pump and manage to not get sucked in. Flirting with danger!
I too had CC, but removed it all after I couldn't control the detritus build up. CC requires you to vacum the base. No CC, less water changes. JMO