Ecosystem Sump

reefpro

Anyone ever heard of a sump called the Ecosystem Aquarium Filter Marine Sump ?
It's 800 bucks and I really wonder why... am I missing something? I was talking to a guy I know and he said it's by far the best sump he's ever had... he replaced his home built one with it and he loves it...
Thoughts on it? I'd post a link but I don't want to get killed by a shark!

wattsupdoc

I have the ecosystem 29 (only payed 250 for it though). The sump itself is OK as far as it goes. I threw out the bioballs and used LR instead. And the miracle mud seems to be ok for the cheato growth but.... it has a tendency to be disturbed easilty and cloud up the tank. I'm going to here shortly be pulling it out and going with a DSB in it instead. Also because the inlet side of it doesnt have any baffles, but just the 2 slots in it I have to deal with the bubble problem by using filters on my OF supply line. So IMO you could do better with a DIY fuge and LR and DSB.

ophiura

IMO, you can do much better, for far cheaper. I would never use miracle mud in my tank, and certainly would not pay that much for it. There have been many threads on the topic...

reefpro

Originally Posted by wattsupdoc
I have the ecosystem 29 (only payed 250 for it though). The sump itself is OK as far as it goes. I threw out the bioballs and used LR instead. And the miracle mud seems to be ok for the cheato growth but.... it has a tendency to be disturbed easilty and cloud up the tank. I'm going to here shortly be pulling it out and going with a DSB in it instead. Also because the inlet side of it doesnt have any baffles, but just the 2 slots in it I have to deal with the bubble problem by using filters on my OF supply line. So IMO you could do better with a DIY fuge and LR and DSB.
Thanks for the quick reply...
I'm actually contemplating running my fuge in the basement (running it through the floor) and going huge on it. The tank is a 90 and I'm going to have a 280 downstairs so I'm thinking of building one big fuge and sharing the water with them..

txmedic1

i'm using a CPR PRO fuge, and the ecosystem "miracle mud". i really dont know much different because i'm all new, but i'm having a hell of a time with microbubbles. as long as i keep my water level up, it doesnt create a "waterfall" from the middle section of the sump, to the last section where the power heads send the water to the show tank. its the water fall effect thats causing the bubbles to begin with.

wattsupdoc

Originally Posted by reefpro
Thanks for the quick reply...
I'm actually contemplating running my fuge in the basement (running it through the floor) and going huge on it. The tank is a 90 and I'm going to have a 280 downstairs so I'm thinking of building one big fuge and sharing the water with them..
I considered connecting my 65 and my 125 together also. Was warned about cross contamination and decided not to. Recently I had an outbreak of Ick in the 125 and I'm REAL glad I didnt. Think about it before you do.