Ecotech MP10 noise

slice

I can't see your vid from here at work, but my MP10 makes a whirring sound only when at max RPM. It isn't loud by my standards, but my protein skimmer makes a terrible racket that would drown out the MP10s anyway.
BTLDreef seems to be the resident Vortech authority around here, you might send her a PM.

sng

I hear the whirring sound which is normal (I saw one at a LFS), but theres a loud vibration noise kind of like the return pump vibration noise. Its very annoying. Anyways that video is with everything turned off, just the MP10 is running. The Vibration type of noise is louder than my return pump vibration noise.

slice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sng http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456142
I hear the whirring sound which is normal (I saw one at a LFS), but theres a loud vibration noise kind of like the return pump vibration noise. Its very annoying. Anyways that video is with everything turned off, just the MP10 is running. The Vibration type of noise is louder than my return pump vibration noise.
That does not sound normal to me, send a PM to BTLD if she doesn't see this thread soon.
When my MP10s are not at full speed, they are completely quiet, the only time I get vibration is when I am aligning after a cleaning and haven't gotten it right yet.

2quills

I bet if you were to google search noisy vortech dry side fix you will find a multitude of threads dedicated to this very problem with these pumps.

gemmy

Also, you can try calling ecotech's customer service. I have heard that they are top notch.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456256
Also, you can try calling ecotech's customer service. I have heard that they are top notch.
Yep, you can try that too. But I think the main problem is the cheap bearings that they use on their motors. That's why guys are replacing them with better bearings. Makes them dead silent. But it also voids the warranty.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456291
My MP10's are pretty quiet.

You probably have a 2nd generation pump, Krista. I believe they upgraded the bearings since the first gen pumps. But if you happen to purchase a used 1st gen pump then you either have to replace them yourself or purchase a new dry side. Oddly enough, there are still many people complaining about the noise from the 2nd gen pump, although probably not as many. I'm still trying to talk myself into purchasing some vortechs for my build. But It's just something about the cost of these pumps that leaves me scratching my head. Other than their programming ability they are virtually nothing more than about a $10 electric motor, some bearings, shaft, magnet, plastic impeller and a case. Great customer service is a good thing don't get me wrong. But so is a product that works well without having to keep your fingers crossed that you don't end up with one of the junk ones that rolls off the line for the price. I would think that the customer service better be top notch for as much as their phones probably ring.

acrylic51

I to question the cost, but when you have a product in demand you can kinda ask a premium......I would call them.....Any noise is usually attributed to misalignment and it's pretty easy to quiet them down, but noise has been an issue with the pump.....Cost wise they could definitely have a much nicer; unique mounting system.....Customer Service.....Not impressed 1 bit......

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456516
I to question the cost, but when you have a product in demand you can kinda ask a premium......
Agreed. But I also think that if you're going to charge a premium then you should also be focusing on quality. A good brand can usually prove itself first and then all of the bells and whistles usually follow along with it. But we live in a novelty world. Whatever is the new cool thing thing to have is what people want and more times than not they are willing to pay for it. And then along comes everyone else eventually who can do the very same thing at a cheaper price and in the end it's only quality and reliability that are usually left standing.
I like the pumps and I want some. Just wish someone would come along and combine the features of the vortechs with the reliability of tunze's. Then to me it would be worth it.

acrylic51

Agree!!!!! Not to sidetrack, but I love both pumps......Draw back with the Vortech IMO is the noise.....My Tunzes aren't near as loud, but the Vortechs move a bit more water volume. Mounting is very limited on the Vortech's. A big thing with me is quality.....Any they haven't lived up to the quality IMO.

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456565
Agree!!!!! Not to sidetrack, but I love both pumps......Draw back with the Vortech IMO is the noise.....My Tunzes aren't near as loud, but the Vortechs move a bit more water volume. Mounting is very limited on the Vortech's. A big thing with me is quality.....Any they haven't lived up to the quality IMO.
In the spirit of the topic at hand I can't comment from experience with these pumps either way. But I've done a fair bit of reading. And the only conclusion that I can draw right now is that it seems as though the 1st generation pumps were little more than a running prototype tossed out into the market. They made a slight modification to the second generation pumps but still haven't worked out all of the inherent flaws of their design.
To me, the sound of the noise in the O.P.'s video seems as though it would be the exact same sound that you'd get from an imbalanced motor That would be describing probably the most inherent design flaw of these pumps and the way they are built. Using bushings to support the impeller/magnet combo. There needs to be some tolerances in order for it to spin freely but the unfortunate side effect can be a slight wobble to cause the noise due to the vibration that it makes. He/She could probably get a replacement dry side if they are covered under warranty that might run better. That one in the video did sound abnormally loud and had a heavy vibration like tone. Or at least to me it does.
Interestingly enough, it surprised me (to a point) to learn earlier today that Echo Tech has been sitting on a patent for an electromagnetic design. The impeller could be driven by magnetic pulses instead of rotating magnets. Truly Silent indeed. I wonder when they plan to unveil that little design. I might hold onto my money just a little bit longer.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456596
In the spirit of the topic at hand I can't comment from experience with these pumps either way. But I've done a fair bit of reading. And the only conclusion that I can draw right now is that it seems as though the 1st generation pumps were little more than a running prototype tossed out into the market. They made a slight modification to the second generation pumps but still haven't worked out all of the inherent flaws of their design.
To me, the sound of the noise in the O.P.'s video seems as though it would be the exact same sound that you'd get from an imbalanced motor That would be describing probably the most inherent design flaw of these pumps and the way they are built. Using bushings to support the impeller/magnet combo. There needs to be some tolerances in order for it to spin freely but the unfortunate side effect can be a slight wobble to cause the noise due to the vibration that it makes. He/She could probably get a replacement dry side if they are covered under warranty that might run better. That one in the video did sound abnormally loud and had a heavy vibration like tone. Or at least to me it does.
Interestingly enough, it surprised me (to a point) to learn earlier today that Echo Tech has been sitting on a patent for an electromagnetic design. The impeller could be driven by magnetic pulses instead of rotating magnets. Truly Silent indeed. I wonder when they plan to unveil that little design. I might hold onto my money just a little bit longer.
I think the real issue is can they keep the halves together......

2quills

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456863
They still need to solve their sucky mounting
We'll just make more modifications. Call them 3rd gen pumps, hike up the prices and then unleash them upon the god fearing public. While we sit on this patent that could utilize a ground breaking technology that would not only make things quieter and ten times more reliable but uses far less energy so that nobody else in the country can develop it and advance it for at least several years. While we'll control the market pricing and pay to get these reputable people in the industry to set up a closed test in order to highlight just one of the ways that our particular product operates better over another that is used for the same but sometimes varied purpose in order to achieve a similar result. :p

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quills http:///t/390353/ecotech-mp10-noise#post_3456874
We'll just make more modifications. Call them 3rd gen pumps, hike up the prices and then unleash them upon the god fearing public. While we sit on this patent that could utilize a ground breaking technology that would not only make things quieter and ten times more reliable but uses far less energy so that nobody else in the country can develop it and advance it for at least several years. While we'll control the market pricing and pay to get these reputable people in the industry to set up a closed test in order to highlight just one of the ways that our particular product operates better over another that is used for the same but sometimes varied purpose in order to achieve a similar result. :p

btldreef

Sorry this took me so long to get to, I was away the past few days dealing with a family issue upstate.
I hear it! It's not aligned or you have a bad propeller.
To me, it really sounds like the WET SIDE propeller is either bad/going bad/needs a good cleaning. One of the big issues with these power heads is that people toss them in the tank and never maintenance them again. The wet sides will go bad over time, it's a known issue, but if they're cleaned regularly, you can get a much longer life out of them. I have generation 1 and 2 pumps on my tanks and as far as noise level goes, they're all the same. Why? Because I replaced the wet sides on the generation 1 pumps. Just throwing that out there. Also, no saying that yours is wrong, but I can not tell you how many people think that they have these aligned properly and then they're not.
Is this a new power head?