eel feeding video

moraym

2.56MB, 6 seconds.
Just a small clip on my brackish moray absolutely assaulting a Formula 1 cube. Just to show people who dont have eels how fast they can strike, and also to show people it's possible to convert eels to eat just about anything.:D
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~sjm9c/swf_eelvid1.AVI
Keep video player on 100% view, small video, otherwise resolution way too stretched.

moraym

It was very soft, it had been sitting in the water for a long time. The puffer decided he didnt want to eat that day.
But yes, the eel eats Formula 1 and 2 cubes, squid cubes, VHP cubes. He ignores many other foods and just loves the cubes. They're soaked so they arent hard, but apparently that doesnt matter. Sometimes when the other fish dont go for their food he'll come to the surface and grab a whole still-frozen cube, wrestle it for a bit, and swallow. Looks like a snake trying to swallow something, he just opens his mouth, trys for a bit, and its down. When I went on vacation my roomie admitted she pretty much tossed a cube in, and he eat it, even still frozen (actually she fed him two a day for a few days, which made me mad, he doesnt need to eat THAT much).
And though it doesnt sound very good, he's grown 8 to 10 inches in the past three years and that's his essential diet. I'm gone on business a lot, my roomie feeds him, and so essentially his diet consists of Formula cubes, and he attacks them.

R

royalshrimp

cool:yes: aggressive fish are so cool to watch especially when they eat:yes: unlike reef fish:rolleyes: but reef safe fish make up for it with their amazing colors:)

polarpooch

you know, I never thought to try cubes frozen. gonna give it a whirl with my ghost moray and see what happens.

moraym

I'm on business and out of town about half my life, and my roommate can't seem to figure out how to let it thaw a bit, so he's been eating frozen cubes for half his 3-year life.
And if you let it thaw completely then it doesn't sink, or it falls apart as soon as the puffer nibbles at it a bit, and the eel doesn't get fed.
So apparently mine is immune.:yes: