Eel Identification

boalgf

This is being sold in my LFS by a bunch of drunks. They have it labeled as a snowflake eel of course, seems to be the default eel. I think it is a spotted moray eel (Gymnothorax moringa) but I can't be sure. Here are some pics I took with my camera phone so it is poor quality. The eel is about 2ft long.

boalgf

I know it was a joke. That is from an eel at an LFS. Considering that was taken with a camera phone, they are quality pictures.
This was all mentioned in the original post...

crox

You might be right. It looks like a spotted moray eel. I have seen a few of those while diving in NC.

dme

You might be right. It looks like a spotted moray eel.
Crox, are you sure, for I cannot tell for those pics are not clear at all and it looks to me as well that its two eels and they appear to be in to small a tank. As well, the spotted morays would have lots of small spots for while growing they become little larger and less spots, but I cannot, tell with those pics.

dme

OOPS! Im sorry, i been having the tess moray talks a lot not to long ago and i had the tess on my mind with the explanation of the spots , so disregard that comment please.

dme

Crox, for all i can tell it could be a pair of spotted moray for when juveniles, they are as well loaded with small spots and just the same as the tess moray, they becomes less and larger. So why did I excused myself
Hey people, you best never get old :scared:

jacknjill

i dont know, its neat though.
and i dont know what DME is talking about(no offense), i can see the pics pretty well and those are great pics for a camera phone!

crox

Originally Posted by JacknJill
i can see the pics pretty well and those are great pics for a camera phone!
I agree

crox

DME
you are excused. Where in NC are you from? in the summer when I'll go diving in Morehead City I'll might pay you a visit!!

dme

Jack, what in the world are you talking about? I cant even see the eels eyes mouths or anything except for a body with spots so your response here has me at a lost for it makes no sense whatsoever. You call those clear perfect images, then what would you call this pic?

jacknjill

I didnt say they were clear perfect photos, but they were certainly legible! Especially for a camera phone, i only wish my camera phone could take pics that clear, especially fish tanks. Im just saying that they arent as bad as you make them out to be, and certainly arent the worst i have seen on this site!

kamaqazi21

DME you just need to help out and chill. if you cant help then dont criticize! nice pics by the way i see the eel pretty well. But i cant ID him sorry good luck though

dme

i only wish my camera phone could take pics that clear,

Gosh, you can have it for even that old digital camera I used before took better pics and it was a 1.3MB