eel in a reef

D

deepsixer

can i have a Snowflake Eel in a semi reef setup my fish are also kinda small like 3= 1 inch fish and a 2 inch.

D

deepsixer

is a 55 gal to small? what would i need to feed it?would it mess with any of my inverts like purple lobster, snail, crabs, conch? whats a good SG for them?

drewsta

It will most likely go after your inverts. You can feed a variety of food, I feed frozen lancefish, krill, mysis. I also keep my SG at 1.025-1.026 and yes a 55G would be fine just make sure that he can get to his food before the other fish eat it, they are slow generally however mine will eat from my hand even though thats not recommended. Make sure also you have alot of live rock for him to hide and also make sure you have a covered top because they WILL jump out

D

deepsixer

when u say go after inverts do you mean just mess with them? or try to eat them?

drewsta

in the fish world its the same things mine will flip over blue legs and try to eat them out of their shell... So sometimes he eats them and other times he doesn't. I have never tried adding lobster but I would say it would most likely be dinner

D

deepsixer

so how do you keep up your cleaning crew do you just replace what the eel eats all the time? if so sounds like that could be expensive.

drewsta

buy a dozen blue legs once a month thats like $12 per month not a big deal. It sounds morbid but its what happens in nature lol

D

deepsixer

Originally Posted by Drewsta
buy a dozen blue legs once a month thats like $12 per month not a big deal. It sounds morbid but its what happens in nature lol

what size tank you have?

drewsta

37G that he is in. He is only about 1foot long now. He will be moved when I get a bigger closed top tank I also have a 75G reef

D

deepsixer

should a 55 gal be a good size for one.
also does it hide alot. because i would like something i see all the time

D

deepsixer

not hard just make sure the top of your tank is fully covered and you should be fine.

will they eat amemone's?

drewsta

No, but I wouldn't recommend doing an anemone because it could possibly sting your eel they aren't the most graceful swimmers they will knock stuff over an swim into stuff from time to time.

R

rjattack19

No, but I wouldn't recommend doing an anemone because it could possibly sting your eel they aren't the most graceful swimmers they will knock stuff over an swim into stuff from time to time.

lol, yea they r what u might call "blind as a bat"