eel question!

S

sonicboom1

Just seeing what you guys think of this and if it seems normal...
My friend has a snowflake eel it is very small well around 5-6 inches I think, so he is fairly small in size. Well just cut to the chase, his eel has eaten 2 star fish (about size of coke can bottom), 1 or 2 crabs, and 1 clown fish (baby).
Now this eel is fed regulary so surely it cant be hungry but obviously he proved us wrong!

Just wondering if that would happen? The eel is out of the tank now with a loss of $40 I believe, he learned his lesson, but what do you guys think? :thinking:

fishieness

but eated two starfish the size of a coke bottom!? For a 5-6 inche eel!! i have a snowflake who is about a foot. maybe a bit bigger, and maybe a bit smaller, but somewhere around there. and there is no way he would fit something that sized in his mouth..... are you sure its the eel? Even the clownfish stricks me as a surprise.... sure he doesnt jsut have a mantis shrimp? lol

scubadoo

Something else is eating his livestock. Two or three mantis shrimp could setainly take out what is on that list. Ireally doubt it was the sfe

S

sonicboom1

hes had the liverock for about 2 to 3 months...and within the past couple days all this has happened. The eel surprised me to but something is getting in there..
is there a way to lure out a mantis?

scubadoo

Possible game plans...a cut and paste
Methods for Capturing Within the Tank:
1. Use live bait to lure it out, then use nets to capture it. This is the simplest technique, and yet may be the least reliable, especially given the keen eyesight and quickness of many of the smaller mantis shrimps. Also, I find them to be extremely cautious creatures, and if there are hiding places around, it will be very difficult to catch them unawares and vulnerable to simple nets.
2. Use home-made traps to capture the mantis shrimp. One enterprising soul made a funnel-type apparatus by cutting out the top half of a small clear plastic bottle close to where the gradual slope turns to a straight line. He then inserted the top part into the lower half in an inverted position, and secured the whole apparatus by tying a fishing line around the neck of the top half and through a hole in the bottom. A piece of shrimp was secured inside the trap to serve as bait.
4. Use commercial traps.
5. The Prairie Dog "Suction" Method
* This is surely one of the more novel methods of capturing mantis shrimps, and involves the use of a suction to trap the critter. The exact location of the mantis shrimp's home cavity must first be determined, and the hose of a strong filter is then secured tightly over the hole. The system is left to run overnight, and the stomatopod is invariably found trapped inside the filter when morning comes. The contributor has been successful all three times he used this method, and has the stomatopod "trophies" on his wall to prove it. In order to work, the mantis shrimp must be of a manageable size, the location of its hole must be precisely determined, and there must not be any other escape routes within the rock.
6. The Scissor Method
* If you've got the reflexes and "guts" to go mano a mano against the mantis shrimps, then this is for you. On the serious side, I would caution that mantis shrimps display a relatively high degree of behavioral plasticity, and the very aggressive behavior of the mantis in the story may not be applicable to other mantis individuals. For example, the large mantises I maintain do not charge out when I start poking into the insides of their cavities. Instead, they just keep hammering at the intruding object.
7. Use competing animals to control or remove the mantis shrimp. This is much more troublesome and less reliable than using traps, and may involve the temporary removal of other inhabitants out of the container. Unless the competing creature is significantly larger than the mantis shrimp, there's every chance that you're going to lose it instead. These are not recommended methods for mantis shrimp removal.

scubadoo

Methods to Capture Mantis Shrimp Outside Tank:
If you can quickly remove the rock where the offending mantis shrimp is hiding, then you can isolate the animal using the following methods.
1. Replace rock in its own, isolated tank with saltwater. Do not provide sources of food for several days, then trap mantis using bait.
2. Dunk rock quickly in carbonated water. You may use club soda or make your own liquid by mixing dry ice and saltwater. The mantis shrimp will quickly scoot out of the rock when exposed to this.
3. Squirt boiling or hot water into the cavities where mantis shrimps may be hiding. This has been suggested to me by retailers of local fishing stores as well.
4. Dunk rock in freshwater. Some people say they have used this to good effect, but others note that it could severely damage the other inhabitants of the live rock.

mr_bill

Originally Posted by ScubaDoo
Methods to Capture Mantis Shrimp Outside Tank:
4. Dunk rock in freshwater. Some people say they have used this to good effect, but others note that it could severely damage the other inhabitants of the live rock.
I can verify this one. I caught a pretty large Mantis shrimp(12.5") while halibut fishing and brought him home to show some friends what they were. As soon as I added him to a 5gallon bucket of fresh water he croaked.

S

sonicboom1

we removed all my friends live rock out of saltwater into freshwater for a bit so i guess he would be dead then?

fishieness

i hope there was nothing else in your live rock. Like copepods or hitchiker corals?
but if it was a mantis who is now dead, now you are going to have to find him before putting back your live rock to make sure he doesnt rot and make all your levels soar.

kels903

ya this thread is dedicated to me but the eel is like 8 - 10 and i dont think i have any mantis shrimp because ive never had a probelm before and ive never seen sites of a shrimp. i am very sad about my lose and im never buying a predator again.