eel question

medguy80

I have a brackish eel. I got him from my favorite LFS and his is doing great. They said he was a snowflake but does not really look like one. He is more of a dark grey with yellow speckles. He is a awesome eel. I love him to death.
He is in a 30 gal right now but will be upgrading soon. My real question is about diet. My partner was told a few different things when he baught the eel. I was told something different today by the owner of the store and within 10 mins told something totally different by another worker.
The first guy told us to feed him krill mon wed fri. We done this for a few days but he would act funny. he would not go into his house just hang out behind the filter ( his second fav place in the tank). So we decided to feed him everyday and he ate like a champ. So we been feeding him everyday til he stops. theysaid krill is all he needs btw.
I figured he would get tired of krill or that it did not have all the stuff in it that he needed. So i tried a fresh scallop from the store. he did not like that well.
About a week later we got a few ciclids ( told it was safe if the fiish was big enough). well he attacked one right off the bat and ate the other a few days later. So mister eel stays alone now. Well unless we get a huge fish that will not fit in his mouth.
Today the owner said that we could feed live fish if we wanted. He said goldfish, silver slides, or any small brackish fish. I thought since he lives alone it not hurt for him to get live food. Well then the other guy states that it is a bad idea due to bacteria and things. And said to only feed frozen food.
I am at a lost as to what to believe. Can someone please help me.
thanks
brock

medguy80

well i talked to the LFS and they said that it is a brackish snowflake eel which is different. any suggestions

matt b

i just feed mine silversides and if u start to feed live then thats all he will eat so then ur going to the pet store ALL the time

medguy80

that is cool. Mine is really good about eatting the frozen krill. Actually he is a pig and a half. I am scared that I feed him to much, but he eats it all and acts like he is starving. Everthing I have read so far says to feed two to three times a week. Mine has ate from the first time we brought him home. never had a problem. I found this also.
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume...water_eels.htm

i have the same exact eel i feed mine silversides, but every now and them try to give him a little krill(shrimp) just to help out with a good diet.
Where are ou going because i used to shop a ***** and they didnt noww anything so i stopped using them and used a private dealer and im much happier.

A

alexmir

I feed my snowflake eel fresh shrimp and scallops. He loves them! ive had him for a few months and hes done awesome

Originally Posted by alexmir
I feed my snowflake eel fresh shrimp and scallops. He loves them! ive had him for a few months and hes done awesome
good just remember no freshwater fish or shrimp people if you want your fish to live for a while

zaneandhilke

Hi, who can help me to ID this eel.
I have just inherited him together with his buddy a zebra eel.
I want to give them the best live ever, but that is hard if I don't know what kind of eel he is. They have a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank with live rock.
Can anybody help me as well with tips on food, other fish to add and plants/organisms to add.
Thanks

kjr_trig

Originally Posted by zaneandhilke
Hi, who can help me to ID this eel.
I have just inherited him together with his buddy a zebra eel.
I want to give them the best live ever, but that is hard if I don't know what kind of eel he is. They have a 5ftx2ftx2ft tank with live rock.
Can anybody help me as well with tips on food, other fish to add and plants/organisms to add.
Thanks
You should start a new thread...looks a little like a Gray Moray to me.

maybe just like a random assorted eel maybe he looks pretty big so maybe he's old and his color may have faded cause i have one that looks a lot like it but a little golish tint