eel questions

buckeye88

I'm thinking about getting a snouflake eel and have a couple questions...
1) What do they need to eat?
2) Will it kill my lunar wrass?
Thanks!!

It eats meaty foods. i feed mine frozen mysis and stuff. How big is the lunare wrasse? if the wrasse is not a baby i wont get eaten. especially if the SFE is bought small

buckeye88

My wrass is about three inches long so it's not a baby. I also have some damsels in the tank but if they get eaten I'll just have to whip out my world's smallest violen

fishntx

i feed mine raw shrimp. the kind you find at wal mart. they will jump out of the tank, puting an eel in a tank that doesnt have som sort of tightly seeled top is just asking for a dried up eel on the floor. he shouldnt mess with the wrasse because he cant fit in his mouth.

prk543

Originally Posted by Buckeye88
My wrass is about three inches long so it's not a baby. I also have some damsels in the tank but if they get eaten I'll just have to whip out my world's smallest violen

if you get a small SFE your wrasse should be fine for now. however my SFE has grown rather quickly, but at the moment may not be a threat to a 3in fish. Just remember that the eel will grow as fast as you feed it, which should be 2-3 times a week.
Originally Posted by jwhitehorn

I was curious how much truth is there to eels escaping? Is it crazy to get an eel w/o a canopy?
yeah, they will get out. mine jumped out of the bucket it was in while i was taking my tank down so I could move. They are also really hard to get a hold of with out hurting them and get back into the tank when they first get out.
You can get several things to keep the eels from getting out. You do not need to have a traditional canopy, but you don't want something with large holes in it either. If you want the top of your tank to be open you can try egg crates or some other stuff.