eel tunnels

pat

hey im gonna be probably putting like a snowflake or chainlink in a 125 and before i drop sand into the tank, i wanna make a maze of pvc under the sand, coming up in several points that will be hidden by rocks. what im wondering is what size pvc would work, i was looking at 1¼ inch but still iffy. let me know if i should get that or even bump it up a size. if anyone else has this kind of thing, what size you got?

von_rahvin

i like that kinda idea, sounds really cool. take the Dia of the biggest eel you are planning on getting and then give them a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch.

stevel

Hey I thought of the same thing.I'm setting up a 90 gal and using 2" pvc to make some tunnels. The snowflake I have now is living in a piece of 2" about 2' long in a 55 gal I think he'll really like the new setup. He can turn around in 2" PVC even though he's about 1" in dia. and 2'long.I'm just not sure if it would need some water flow threw the pipes so I added a opening where I could pump water through the pipes
Steve

My snowflake is 14" long and when I set up my tank (with purchasing an eel in mind), I used 3/4" PVC and used a heat gun to bend it and formed a nice maze for him. Keep the PVC a little larger so your eel has the ability to turn a bit inside it.