eels in 45g

aquaknight

If this tank is only going to be a temporary home, for less than 2 years, your standard Snowflake or Zebra ell will work for a while. Not forever, our snowflake outgrew our 60gal, years and years ago (early 90's)....
The obvious recommendation which you'll probably get a couple times is the Golden Dwarf Moray, Gymnothorax melatremus. Reaching a maximum of 15", would seem right at home in a 45gal, which he would be. Except their most for the typical aquarist. They're an extremely
shy species. Most owners report not seeing theirs much at all. If you want other fish as well, this will increase their inherit shyness. They are always typically about $150-$300 depending on vendor.
Just asked for the budget, because on a different WYSIWYG site, the Skeletor Eel, is starting to regularly appear. Max length of 24" or so, the would fit great too, unfortunately they command a $500+ pricetag.

nuro

you could do a wicked garden eel tank in a 45. just make sure to have a deep substrate. Ive been fantasizing about doing one for years.

luv4fish

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3173585
If this tank is only going to be a temporary home, for less than 2 years, your standard Snowflake or Zebra ell will work for a while. Not forever, our snowflake outgrew our 60gal, years and years ago (early 90's)....
The obvious recommendation which you'll probably get a couple times is the Golden Dwarf Moray, Gymnothorax melatremus
. Reaching a maximum of 15", would seem right at home in a 45gal, which he would be. Except their most for the typical aquarist. They're an extremely
shy species. Most owners report not seeing theirs much at all. If you want other fish as well, this will increase their inherit shyness. They are always typically about $150-$300 depending on vendor.
Just asked for the budget, because on a different WYSIWYG site, the Skeletor Eel, is starting to regularly appear. Max length of 24" or so, the would fit great too, unfortunately they command a $500+ pricetag
whew....i didnt think they'd be that much...so do all eels need a thick sand bed...the 45g is temporary...its my first tank....once i get the hang of it i will def upgrade to something like a 75g...

skate020

garden eel need at LEAST 11" of sand, so in a 45g, most of the tank will be filled with sand, although they look good.
look at coral keeper's 55g, he's got garden eels in there.
a snowflake will probably be the best choice. there cheap too

luv4fish

I saw a snowflake today...it was beautiful...but it was at petsmart....it was 39.99...is petsmart a good place to get fish...

jackri

Ditto -- Petsmart won't carry them as far as I know... and the other place shouldn't (at least not here).

aquaknight

Maybe. Petsmart is currently exploring some saltwater sections in a few select markets/stores. They are are looking to go national at some point.
Though it probably is *****, or depending on location, Petland. As for the quality, most are terrible death traps for fish. There are a few here and there that are good, LFS quality places. There's one in Pensacola that the people there are actually aquarists. It should be immediately apparent if the place is good or bad.

calbert0

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3174122
Maybe. Petsmart is currently exploring some saltwater sections in a few select markets/stores. They are are looking to go national at some point.
Though it probably is *****, or depending on location, Petland. As for the quality, most are terrible death traps for fish. There are a few here and there that are good, LFS quality places. There's one in Pensacola that the people there are actually aquarists. It should be immediately apparent if the place is good or bad.
The LFS in my college town burned down, and although i had a good saltwater connection, i still had to shop at ***** for fresh water stuff. There was one guy that worked there who knew what he was talking about. If i went and he wasnt there, i would look around the tanks for a quick second and walk right back out.
I would never spend money at one of those places unless it was absolutely necessary.

luv4fish

yeah....its a petsmart....in central virginia...the saltwater section is VERY VERY small...i felt so bad for the tangs...they were cramped up in the little tanks they keep the goldfish in...the damsels well the only fish that looked comfy...the eel was tiny so I didn't feel bad for him....

skidemon95

Originally Posted by Luv4FisH
http:///forum/post/3174151
yeah....its a petsmart....in central virginia...the saltwater section is VERY VERY small...i felt so bad for the tangs...they were cramped up in the little tanks they keep the goldfish in...the damsels well the only fish that looked comfy...the eel was tiny so I didn't feel bad for him....
i got my snowflake when he was a baby for 19.99. i think $40 for a small guy is alot.

skate020

yerppp, tbh, it doesnt matter where there from aslong as they look healthy, more times then not there mostly all from one big company that supplys them, and when the company supplys the fish they need to be of top quality before going into a shop for sale.
$40 is average for a snowflake eel and i think its your best bet getting that considering its a baby and your tank is only a 45g.
eventually it will grow out but not for a year or 2.
then you should should go for anything like a 60g-100g
a 100g would probably house a snowflake forever.
ever looked into a japanese dragon moray?:D
they are wicked, MASSIVE teeth, full of colour, grow to about 5' and are aggresive.
very nice if you have a big tank with only big fish!
they go for upwards of $700ish.
VERY expensive fish.

rdub62

3/5 local Petsmarts where I live have about 5-10 tanks for saltwater inhabitants.
They are rarely very healthy.