eels

sbennett

So, like a larger angel or butterfly would make it OK as long as they were bigger than the eels mouth? Also, how about inverts? Will an eel bother starfish, urchins, shrimp, etc?

moto757

select a couple of different types of eels you like then ask if they a able to live with fish it will be a lot easier when you post to get a more specifc answer

undulate*

i agree with moto this post isnt really clear like you could be going for aggressive in which you could have triggers and groupers with the eels or a friendly FOWLR which you could just keep as it was said up top any fish that wont fit in the eels mouth.
Reid

ib4shore

My eels could hardly find the food I was giving them. I don't know if they are all dumb but I've had several. They were cool but not too bright. I never had much problems with morays being too aggressive. But none of mine were over 14". They would not mess with damsels maybe because they didn't get much chance. But my friend had a green wolf and it was viciuos. Nothing was safe not even his live rock. But thats only one instance. But most are pretty mellow. IMO

ib4shore

Another thing make sure the cover is tight cause eels can get out pretty good. Even if your eel gets out and lays on the floor till it's dried out. Put it back in the water. Don't jump to conclusions it may be fine, they are very tough. I had a tiretrack moray that jumped out and was stuck to the rug and I peeled him off the rug, threw him back in the tank and after about 2 min. he was fine. Just a little fuzzy.

tigerlover

If you spring for one of the more peaceful, easy to keep morays, such as the zebra or snowflake, most of your fish, often even ones smaller than the eel's mouth, will be just fine, but don't try too many inverts. One of my eels had numerous bad experiences with those. He was stung by an anemone, then in his pain he knocked over some decorations, then after the anemone was gone he got brave and started chewing on crab shells as if he were a dog with a bone, I've got to say it was cute, but I'm sure my hermits were not quite as pleased. Plus, and I have no proof of this so I can't truly blame him, a while after his aquistition my scarlet cleaner shrimp disappeared, but I don't think it was him because the shrimp used to clean him, but you never know...

sankysyuck

Eels will eat most inverts, like shrimp, snails, clams ect. they usually dont bother starfish though... Don't put any small fish like clownfish in it though, Unless your buying it an expensive meal.