Eels

badboy822

Well I am looking at getting an eel. I have been reading up on them and I lik the snow flake eel, however I read that they will eat small fish and inverts. Is this true. If so are there any eels that are better to have then others. I had a ghost eel which was find, but want something with more color. Thanks for the help. Craig

tjswanson

I have to agree w/ Reef Vixon. They get FAR TOO BIG even for a 125g. And yes they eat anything that fit in their mouth including fingers. I would also stay away from eels. Even if you get a small guy, they end up growing into very big adults. TJ

A snowflake eel will grow over 3 feet long and about 6 inches thick. (think of a full size boa constictor) They will eat anything that fits in their mouth, including your red hawk. They are masters of escaping their tanks, which of course, if not found quickly will die out of water. If you really want an eel, maybe look at zebra eels, I don't think they grow as large and they are alittle bit more docile, from what I have heard.
~~Megan

little fish

I have a gold spotted moray eel. He is quite friendly and hasn't tried eating any of the smaller fish. Of course he is only about 9 inches long. He basically hides all day but usually sticks his head out at lunchtime.