Egads... a jellyfish!

yammer

This morning I was looking at my refugium and saw this small white mound of non-moving indistinct "white stuff". I went into investigate with a cleaning probe and lo-and-behold, it was a deceased jellyfish, about 2 inches long including the tentacles. I promptly removed it of course, but it still amazes that after several months during which time I spent an embarassing amount of time in front of the tank taking everything in, something like that can just pop up out of the blue.
What a hobby! :)

galina

That's pretty cool. I heard stories that in Japan, people kept jellies as a hobby. How do you think the little bugger got in your tank?
Galina

yammer

All I can think of is that he was a hitchiker on some of the liverock I put in the sump. I saw a jelly fish exhibit at the Long Beach aquarium here in California and saw that they do go through several phases. One of the phases looks a bit like an anemone and is attached to the substrate. Perhaps he (it?) was attached somewhere inside the rock and metamorphised into the full blown thing. Too bad it died so fast though. Still it was pretty cool!

galina

That's really interesting. Can't wait to get some more LR. Where'd you get yours? Online? if so.. I might choose to buy from them. :D
Galina

jakob4001

jellyfish have short-lived lives though & not really able to be kept reliably in tanks...one of those things that would have worse track record then buying anemones to make clown happy (couph couph, usually the owner actually) would be neet & have seen them few times at couple of LFS...the upside down kind...don't think I'd pay for something I know would live short time then die

miner

When I set-up my first tank 6 yrs. ago in Mi. I had hunderes of Jellyfish eggs. Larva stage, looked like small brownish Anenome's but hairy.
Some hatched and lived for Months. Most went into the skimmer. One grew the size of a dime, then disappeared. I sent some of the larve to Rob Toonan. The Jellys were clear, so it was hard to see them. Best look was when they were on the glass. It sure was neat, and I wished I had more of those rocks. This hobby is so cool !!! :)

yammer

The rocks weren't bought online. Just got them from my LFS. I bought them there because I needed a fairly small size to fit in my refugium. There's two of them in there, both about the size of a head of lettuce. Since they were for the refugium, I wasn't looking for beauty, just a surface for the macroalgae to bond to. The rocks themselves weren't all that spectacular to look at, just a bit of coralline algae on some fiji rock. That's what I find to be so interesting about the concept that an innocuous looking piece of rock can suddenly burst forth with all kinds of interesting creatures; even after having flown across the ocean in a box.