Egg Crate??

M

mikede

Hey folks,
I was just wondering if anyone used egg crate beneath their live sand to keep their aquascaping stable, and if so do you cover the entire bottome of the tank or just basically the foot print of the reef/rock formations? Thyanks in advance.

ninjamini

I considered it when I put together the 90 gallon. I decided against it because I was afraid of trapped deturis. I just put the base rock in before the sand. That way it was right on the glass.

M

mikede

I just hate the thought of rock directly on glass?? I too am setting up a 90 as soon as I get my skimmer and ro/di unit from santa

fbm

I agree, I hate the thought of rock on glass. However I did put my rock right on the glass. The glass is tempered on the bottom making it extremely strong but brittle. But there is no movement and I can't see a rock falling through water being able to shater it. Just my opinion.

f14peter

I put some down, but only where the rock went. The stuff trims really easy with some sidecutters/nippers (Had to make a cut-out for the overflow).
Does seem like the uneven rock "sits" a little better, finding niches in the crate.

jdecter

Goto Tap Plastics or other local plastic stores, they usually have tiny precut thin pieces of plastic for like 25 cents. Just get a few where your rock will rest.
But the Eggcrate works, the only downside is sometimes the fish try to dig down there and it gets in their way, I always worried they might scar themselves on a sharp edge.
Also if you have a "

[hr]
" tank. Just line the whole bottom with some plastic, id even silicone (marine safe) it in so 'junk' doesn't build up under it to much.