Eggcrates?

rebelprettyboy

What are these? and where can you find them? Ive been looking online at home depot and lowes but cant find them or anything.. Whats the exact name?

rebelprettyboy

What does these have to do with setting up your lights? Im looking to get me some lights so I can get reefs in my 55 gallon tank and I have no clue what these do.

joojoo

I think they are mainly used as fences or screens to keep fish in or out of a certain area.... or in frag tanks as stands.

joojoo

That's a good use too, keep fish from carpet surfing

I've always wondered though, if you use egg crate as a hood, will it cast a shadow over the tank?

rebelprettyboy

ok so what size should the eggcrate be for my 55 gallon tank? I cant think of the model of it but I got it at petsmart and it has like 2 different hoods parts tha seperate it.. like a little break in the middle

joojoo

You'd have to get exact measurements of the top of your tank and match that in egg crate I would assume. You can probably have 2 "hoods" of egg crate to make maintenance more manageable, just cut it in the middle.

rbaldino

You put the eggcrate on the top of the tank where you would normally have the hood or glass tops. You're going to have to cut to fit. It's not real complicated.

dogstar

This is eggcrate, it comes in a 2 foot by 4 foot panel and you cut it to fit inside the groove on the top plastic trim of the aquarium. Also cut around pipes or filters, ect. that might stick up above the top. Cut with hand held tin snips or saw.
Most use it to prevent fish from jumping out while allowing air to move thru. Most glass tops do not allow proper air exchange in most cases and can cause heat problems when useing stronger lights.
Make sure lights are high enough above it that it does not melt....never used it under my lights so I dont know how easy it melts. ( Im not cooking it in the pic
and just placed it on my tank to take the photo. )
It will prevent some light from shineing sideways thru it so, your call. Thats what its made for, a diffuser.
The Home Depot near me, keeps it in the grid ceiling section of the store...

jessi p

How difficult is it to cut with tin snips? Can a fairly strong woman do it myself? Or will I need to drag the other half from his cave?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by joojoo
That's a good use too, keep fish from carpet surfing

I've always wondered though, if you use egg crate as a hood, will it cast a shadow over the tank?

yeah it does block some light reducing the effectiveness of your lights, its a trade off dead fish or less effective lights in some cases where you have jump prone fish.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Jessi P
How difficult is it to cut with tin snips? Can a fairly strong woman do it myself? Or will I need to drag the other half from his cave?
really easy to cut.

rebelprettyboy

ok so I put the eggcrate on top of the tank... Then I hang my lighting kit from the ceiling above it right??? How far above should the lights be

rebelprettyboy

Yeah thats where I buy most my stuff from and from this store in Odessa I think its called Bulewater Tropical Fish or somethin. U stay in this area seasalt101??

captainemo

Originally Posted by Jessi P
I just spit coffee all over my monitor. That was funny!