Eheim filters?

fishfinder

I was wondering if the Eheim Wet/Dry Canister filters are good? I was thinking about getting one but I didn't know if they are good or not. Has anyone had experience with them?

bob a.

We used one for awhile. Not as bulletproof as some people would have you believe. Not a bad filter, but it will clog after awhile when the critters start to grow inside. Would not put it on a reef tank, will keep the nitrate levels higher than they should be if you were only going with a sump and live rock. For a fowlr, I would go for one of the hang on types since its much easier to monitor the filter media and change it if necessary.

fishfinder

This would be for my 75 gal. fowlr tank. I currently am using two emperor 400's with an Aqua C remora protein skimmer. I was trying to find something that will clean really well without going to a sump. Also are these filters easy to unclog? My tank isn't drilled so I wasn't too thrilled about doing the hang-on siphon box for a true wet/dry filter. Is this something I should reconsider. If so what are the pros/cons.

bob a.

There's no perfect system, everything has a drawback. Neither of our two tanks are drilled and both are using the hang on siphons. They have issues with salt creep on the hoses, and they get gunked up with algae, but thats about it.
The ehiem we ran for about 2 years before we swapped it out from the reef to the fowlr. Its not that hard to unclog, but it is a heavy mother (full of water) to have to drag out from under the tank, especially when you have alot of your supplies stored under there as well and have to move it all around. It was one job I didnt look forward to.
I honestly think you could get by with your current setup. The remora is a good skimmer and if you keep the filter media pretty clean it will probably keep up with the waste. I used boyds chemipure on the fowlr tank in a small hang on filter and the water was crystal clear. Wet-dry filters are going out of fashion and from what I see, most folks are relying on the rock and a good skimmer to do most of the pollution control. Good Luck.

misskitty

I would have to agree. I have one it it really can be a pain in the arss to clean. Plus the nitrate build up can get pretty bad if you dont stay on top of cleaning it. I have the one with the pads and the bio media and trying to keep the 2 types of bio media apart while cleaning and blah blah blah.. now that I think about it... I might go to a hob.. lol

eyebedam

Im using one on one my tanks and it has been doing well for about 4 years now. I will agree with bob it is a heavy mother and It Sux when its time to clean it. Im only running carbon, Sea gel, And some filter floss in mine. Basically to just keep the water clean and phospates down.