Electricity Bill

gregghia

Curious to know if anyone knows what the increase in their power bill, daily or monthly, has been since starting their aquarium? I have a 75 gal reef and here is what I have plugged in;
250Watt MH light with T5 and moon lights
2 Maxi-jet 1200
1 Maxi-jet 600
Mag 7 pump
10 watt Aqualight in sump
300Watt heater
Unfortunately I am on an equal pay plan with my electric company so i will not see the bill increase for another 12 months...
Anyone know what it adds?

cjason3041

not to be mean, but if you are worried about elec bill.....well then you have not spent thousands on fish and coral and other stuff.... elec bill is the easiest to deal with

gregghia

Originally Posted by cjason3041
not to be mean, but if you are worried about elec bill.....well then you have not spent thousands on fish and coral and other stuff.... elec bill is the easiest to deal with

Not to be mean back at you but I NEVER SAID I WAS WORRIED, don't see where you read that. Just like the aquarium hobby itself I want to know everything. So with that said does anyone know what it adds.

dina12

I have 4 tanks set up - My electric bill has only went up about 40.00 a month. Now if only the humidity in the house didn't go up.....

gregghia

Originally Posted by dina12
I have 4 tanks set up - My electric bill has only went up about 40.00 a month. Now if only the humidity in the house didn't go up.....

Wow 4 tanks! Good for you that must be a sight to see and a full time job. Thanks for the info... anyone else.

cjason3041

Originally Posted by gregghia
Not to be mean back at you but I NEVER SAID I WAS WORRIED, don't see where you read that. Just like the aquarium hobby itself I want to know everything. So with that said does anyone know what it adds.

my bad....i should have guessed...duh i am just like that....want to know all i can.....sorry

dragonboy

Mine only gone up to an extra 20-40 or so a month. It wasn't really that big of a jump but if you cut down on lighting and other daily household use it won't be that bad.

zman1

250Watt MH (280W ea x 2?) light with T5 (54w x2?) and moon lights (not worth calculating)
2 Maxi-jet 1200 (20W x2)
1 Maxi-jet 600 (7.5W)
Mag 7 pump (70W)
10 watt Aqualight in sump
300Watt heater
Let's say
MH 2 x 280W = 560Wh or .560 KWh X 8 hours a day = 4.58KWH per day
T5 2X54W = 108Wh or .108 KWh X 10 hours a day = 1.08 KWH per day
Max 1200 20Wx2 = 40Wh or .040KWh x 24 hours = .96 KWh per day
Max 600 1x7.5Wh or .0075KWh x 24 = .18 KWh per day
Mag 7 pump 1x70Wh or .070 KWh X 24 = 1.68 KWh per day
Aqua light 1x10Wh or .010 KWh X12 hours = .12 KWh per day
Heater 1x300Whr or .3 KWh x ? say 4 hours = 1.2 KWh per day
9.8 Kwh a day x 30 days = 295 KWH a month
295 KWH a month X your rate = Monthly cost
Example 295 x.13 = $38.22
Change the durations you will be running the items, add up the KiloWattHours and then multiple by your rate for a daily cost. Then by the number of days you want. I went high on the MH they do comsume more than they are rated at on the lamps.
Then figure your water and sewer bill increase -LOL

gregghia

NOW THAT IS THE WAY TO ANSWER A QUESTION. Speaking my language. Thanks so much for the time and thought. And you know i am going to plug in the variables... thanks ZMAN1

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by Squishy
My bill was about 60 or 70 a month now it is about 250.
And I work for the power company.
you work for the power company? is there n e way to rigg ur meter *cough.hehe
my house bill averaged in the 250's went up 75-80$ when he started reef keeping....we have 2 reefs...

barchtruong

what! I don't see a raise on the elec bill.......:)
oh, prolly I paid rent at a fixed rate (all bills paid!)
but hey...I see a hug raise on my credit card bill and all items are under 1 catergory-"reef shops"

lawman

I laugh at the thought of what a tank will increase my electric bill. My swimming pool holds 17000 gals and the wife and daughters keep the water about 82 450 to 500 a month. Lmao

nigerian

Originally Posted by barchtruong
what! I don't see a raise on the elec bill.......:)
oh, prolly I paid rent at a fixed rate (all bills paid!)
but hey...I see a hug raise on my credit card bill and all items are under 1 catergory-"reef shops"
Tell me about it.

reefkprz

With my 24 reptile and exotic animal habitats I never even noticed when I upgraded to a larger tank, heat lamps Are hard on an electric bill.

zman1

Originally Posted by gregghia
:Thanks so much for the time and thought. And you know i am going to plug in the variables... thanks ZMAN1
YW.. I guesed by your tank size it was a 48" tank and your T-5 were the 54W versions. The pumps were the only thing I had to look up. Again your durations and the rate your utility company charges per kiliowatt hour are the key factors.
Some utility companies charge one rate for 0 up to XXXX KWHs and another rate for YYYY per KWH above the XXXX limit (same with water). If your does, they should spell that out. If they don't list the per KWH charge, call them or subtract the Begin meter reading from the End meter reading and that shoudl be your usage, then divide this number by the bill amount and should give you your per KWH rate. I used .13 as this is the charge my utlitity company charges the last time I checked (it's been awhile).

frankthetank

I have a question along these lines...
How much amperage does a tank in general use?
I have a 46g, with a dual satellite pc light, 2 maxi 900s, 1 heater, fluval 305, and soon aqua c remora.
I ask because my tank is on the same circuit as the back porch light, car port flood lamps, shed base plug (charging a weed eater), and 6 other base plugs in the living room which operate 27"TV, DVD, Sony surround sound w/ 10" sub, Satellite box, desktop computer, printer, monitor, altec lansing speaker and 8" sub, phone charger, 2 lamps, and a remote doorbell.
I even plug my vacuum into this circuit when I get ready to use it. This circuit is a 20 amp circuit. Is this a problem? I was even thinking of adding another tank to this circuit later in life, maybe of 100g or so.

zman1

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
I have a question along these lines...
How much amperage does a tank in general use?
I have a 46g, with a dual satellite pc light, 2 maxi 900s, 1 heater, fluval 305, and soon aqua c remora.
I ask because my tank is on the same circuit as the back porch light, car port flood lamps, shed base plug (charging a weed eater), and 6 other base plugs in the living room which operate 27"TV, DVD, Sony surround sound w/ 10" sub, Satellite box, desktop computer, printer, monitor, altec lansing speaker and 8" sub, phone charger, 2 lamps, and a remote doorbell.
I even plug my vacuum into this circuit when I get ready to use it. This circuit is a 20 amp circuit. Is this a problem? I was even thinking of adding another tank to this circuit later in life, maybe of 100g or so.
Power (Watts)=E(Voltage)xI (Current)
P=ExI
E=P/I
I=P/E
Power(Watts)/115 (E) = I (current orAmps)
(Total watts divided by 115V = Amperage)
Do the math...
PS any motors or MH have a higher starting currents. Wattsupdoc listed what it can take to trip a 20 amp breaker or what temp load a 20 amp breaker can take before tripping (slow blow)...