Electricity out = sump over flow

rlanders67

Summer time = electrical storms in South Florida. I am afraid that if i loose electricity my sump is going to overflow. This hasn't happened yet, but I want to be prepared. If I shut full power to the tank off the sump fills up and I have to quickly shut the valve on the pump off. Is there any way to stop an overflow from happening? Can I lower the water in the overflow? Suggestions???

pbienkiewi

What i did is that I drilled a small hole into my return hose. As it bends into the tank drill a small hole. This will allow air into the return hose cutting off the siphon. Also a little water will come out of the hose. make sure you drill it so the water will overflow into the tank.

oniel21

How big is your tank and sump? What kind of Overflow? Assuming you have a UTube - When you have a power outage, the overflow will continue to siphon until the tank water level gets below the teeth on the overflow. The return line will also starts a reverse siphon and puts water into the sump until the tank water level clears the opening of the return line. Once the power comes back on, the return pump will start to pump water back into the tank, water level increases in the tank, and the UTube siphon should continue to work.
Take out a bunch of water from our sump. Perform a fake power outage. Let the overflow and return pump finish draining the water. Once they are done, look at your level in the sump, now you can add the appropriate amount of water to the sump. This will ensure you avoid a sump overflow.
When you turn the power back on, let the water flow through for about 5 minutes. When the sump and tank levels are normal, take a marker and mark the water level on the outside of the sump. This will be your top off line for future reference. Never top off above that line!

fishguy56

I have all four of my returns right at the top of the water on the tank this way soon as the water drops it sucks air therefore stops my sump from filling up to much. Yes this is a scary thing to deal with the wrong setup could almost empty the tank.

dmitry

Yeah, what oneil21 said. Do you fill your sump all the way to the top while the tank is fully operational? What I always did was turn off the return pump and let the water from the main tank drain into the sump as far as it would go. Make sure the water that has drained into your sump at that point is all the way to the top - and don't add any more water to the system. If the power goes out and your tank drains a bit - the volume will only reach the top of your sump. Make sense?
I'm not sure why a whole tank would drain unless there's a siphon. My reef ready tank had water level near the top before it started draining into the sump. My overflow box wouldn't allow the water to drain all the way - just a couple of inches.

rlanders67

I have a 65g. I keep the water level in the sump on the water level line that came with the sump, which is pretty much at the bottom of the bio balls. I have tested this before and shut the power off and the water still ran over the top of the sump. Can I pull the pipe up higher that sucks the water down to the sump?

dawman

On one of my tanks [135] the sump was not big enough for a power outage , like 3 gallons too small . I piped in a pipe at the top of the sump to a rubbermaid container . Now when the power goes out the water will flow into the other container . Then I will use a small pump to pump the water back when power comes on.

fishguy56

I have my four return pipies maybe half inch under water just enough so they don't make bubbles, then when my tank drains downs a little the pipes now suck air so the sump does not over flow. This is a must you never know if you will be home when the power goes out.

rlanders67

Ok, I think I got it. It's the return that is important, not the pipe that sucks the water down into the sump? Once air gets into the return pipe water will stop flowing into the sump?

fishguy56

Originally Posted by rlanders67
Ok, I think I got it. It's the return that is important, not the pipe that sucks the water down into the sump? Once air gets into the return pipe water will stop flowing into the sump?
You GOT it!

njbeacher

If you have snails, you might want to drill 2 holes in each pipe instead of one. One on each side. It is added insurance that a snail isnt covering the only air hole when the power goes out.

rbaldino

Originally Posted by rlanders67
All of that is pretty meaningless if you have too much water in your system. To find your ideal volume, fill the display tank to the level of the return nozzle, the sump to near the top, and then turn on your return pump. Water from the sump will fill the remainder of the display, which should leave the sump about half full. That's all the water volume you should have to avoid an overflow.