Electricity ????s

cripps72

Got a few ?s regarding the excessive amount of plugs that is used. My tank has been up and running for awhile now w/ no issues but im still concerned in regards to the amount of plugs we all use.Currently everything plugged into a surge strip 1875watts that has 10 plugs, and just concerned due to the fact that is plugged into the one outlet and then have other strip which has various plugs(charger,lamp....)So ?s im getting at is this overload or not how much can the one outlet take and any other safety precautions for this. Also breaker box is a 200amp if that matters. Any feedback would be great. Thanks

promisetbg

Just make sure the outlet at the wall has a GFCI. We all run our tanks this way{lots of plugs}...depending on what lights, pumps, etc. you have will determine how much you are using. You can calculate it I'm sure, but I don't think there should be any problem. Just don't let the fire marshall see it.

murph

Promise give good advice here. Or if you don't want to mess around with installing ground fault outlets Home Depot sells 8 outlet strips with an in line ground fault. They work almost to the point of being annoying sometimes, with the slightest voltage leak at all tripping them.
You may find after getting one that you have a less than safe situation on your hands already and will be able to track down the culprit simply by unplugging each electrical device on your system until the ground fault stops tripping.

acrylic51

That seems like alot for 1 surge protector IMO.....I would try to break up the load......It doesn't really matter that you have 200 amp service, you have to look and see what size breaker is supplying juice to that outlet...Is your outlet fed by a 15 or 20 amp breaker? You need to find this out and then figure your total amp draw from all your equipment.....You don't want to max the amperage of either size breaker.....You don't want to put more than 70% load on a breaker all the time......

lt34

Most non-appliance area outlets are on a 15 amp breaker. If you need to upgrade to a 20 amp, have an electrician (or someone that really knows what they are doing that isn't an electrician) check the size of the wire. If it can't handle the 20 amp, you will overheat the wires. At the same time, if that wall is easily accessible from the attic, see if you can have additional outlets placed in. Just make sure it is a GFI. I ran on a house fire caused by an overloaded fish tank outlet. The fire heated the tank and broke the glass. It put the fire out and saved the house, but obviously everything in the tank was lost. Wonderful hobby, but play it safe!

medicbratt

Thanks for the replies il be fixing and reworking it so i dont have to worry. Thanks all/ On other puter under wifes name.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by lt34
Most non-appliance area outlets are on a 15 amp breaker. If you need to upgrade to a 20 amp, have an electrician (or someone that really knows what they are doing that isn't an electrician) check the size of the wire. If it can't handle the 20 amp, you will overheat the wires. At the same time, if that wall is easily accessible from the attic, see if you can have additional outlets placed in. Just make sure it is a GFI. I ran on a house fire caused by an overloaded fish tank outlet. The fire heated the tank and broke the glass. It put the fire out and saved the house, but obviously everything in the tank was lost. Wonderful hobby, but play it safe!

I agree, check and figure out what your overall load is and then figure out what else is on that circuit......You'll usually find 15amp breakers, but don't just swap a 20amp in on 14/2 line, cause like stated will definitely overheat the wire, and you'll have problems