Electrolytic Capacitor

qreef

Hi
I know there are a lot of smart people in this board. I have an off topic to ask. Does anyone know how to id surface mount Electrolytic Capacitor? I have a unit I use for my aquarium and I found out he cap is black/burned
The part has 3 set of number 001 22 35w. If you could educate me I would be appreciated and also let me know where I can get it
Thanks

scsinet

Are you sure the "w" is not a "v"?
With most surface mount electrolytics... the first number is usually more or less irrelevant, the second is the rating in microfarads, and the third is the voltage.
22mfd is a common value for electrolytics, and 35 is a common working voltage, so I'm betting it's a 22mfd, 35v cap.
Where to get it... digikey and Jameco are where I'd start. Here's the rub though... surface mount caps come in different dimensions for a given spec... I just pulled a polymetric on Digikey and they carry 132 different 22mfd, 35v caps. Mostly the difference is height... of those 132 items, there are only 3 different footprints... try digikey PN 338-1811-1-ND. You can probably use a caliper to figure out the dimensions of the part that needs replacing.