Elegance Coral Looking Stressed

Jake4232

I purchased an Australian Elegance coral last Wednesday and within an hour of adding it to my tank it looked amazing. It looked just as great Thursday and Friday but on Saturday it began looking stressed and only opened up about 50%. It's been looking gradually getting worse each day and today only slightly extended its polyp past the rocky base.

Its in a 55 gal and I am running 2 Kessil 160s. I first placed it on the sand in a low flow area. Today I tried moving it onto the rocks to get it closer to the light and it looked slightly better for about an hour and then closed black up. All of my other corals are looking perfect and my fish are acting normal.

Temp - 78 deg
Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
pH - 8.2
kH - 12 DKH
Cal - 440 ppm
Phos - 0 ppm

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated!!

lmforbis

I've never had one because I've heard they tend to do poorly in captivity. I'd give it a couple days to adjust to new placement then if it still doesn't look happy I'd try moving it again keeping flow in mind as well as lighting.

florida joe

I consider myself more than a novice in this hobby. That being said I felt I could surely keep an elegance coral. WRONG after two attempts it has become one of the corals I will never try to keep. Just my own .02

mandy111

I purchased an Australian Elegance coral last Wednesday and within an hour of adding it to my tank it looked amazing. It looked just as great Thursday and Friday but on Saturday it began looking stressed and only opened up about 50%. It's been looking gradually getting worse each day and today only slightly extended its polyp past the rocky base.

Its in a 55 gal and I am running 2 Kessil 160s. I first placed it on the sand in a low flow area. Today I tried moving it onto the rocks to get it closer to the light and it looked slightly better for about an hour and then closed black up. All of my other corals are looking perfect and my fish are acting normal.

Temp - 78 deg
Amm - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
pH - 8.2
kH - 12 DKH
Cal - 440 ppm
Phos - 0 ppm

Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be appreciated!!
0 on both nitrate & phos will cause issues
All lps need food
They need nutrients in the water
I suggest
Nitrates <10
Phos <0.05
Medium flow medium light
Target feed some Brine or mysis

Jake4232

I have been spot feeding it. I fed it a piece of clam the other day but it was too big and it regurgitated it a couple hours later. Ive been trying brine but I'm not sure whether or not it actually ate any. Its still alive and looking a little better but still not looking great. I only bought this because I heard Australian Elegances are much hardier. I'm starting to kick myself now.