Elegance in high flow area

florida joe

I took this quick video at my LFS they have had this elegance for over a year. It is in an extremely high flow area as you can see. Go figure
IMG_0237.jpg

Last edited:

2quills

From my understanding there was a survey done in the early 2000's of the various areas where elegance corals were collected from different locations in Indonesia.

The ones with the dark coloration in the oral disc like that were only found in shallow/turbid locations.

Perhaps that explains a lot of the different situations where some have been successful and some not.

Essentially catalaphylia can be found in various locations and depths with morphs that seem fairly specific to which ever location they are found.

When ever I put mine in high flow it just stays closed up and won't open till I turn the flow down. However after viewing your video I think my definition of high flow may be a little different than yours.

2quills

are you saying you had more flow then my LFS
Based on my loose observation of your video I would guess that mine is currently getting roughly the same or slightly less flow where I have it between the rocks.

But the flow in my system changes. It's higher durring the day and lower in the evening. My favorite time is right after the white lights go off, flow rates drop and everything opens up big.

Then there are times where I blast my tank with flow for a few reasons. It gives my fish lots of exercise, stirs up all of the detritus for mechanical removal and helps corals shed mucus. I do not blast them for any great lengths of time though.

Just a little storm simulatuon.