Elegance..

S

scoobs

Last time i post about my elegance..
I thought maybe it was something wrong with my tank i couldnt figure out.. But today i went to the lfs i got it from and they had 2 that had came in at the sametime. One of those i bought about 2 weeks ago.. The one that was still at the lfs is mostly skel with alittle coral still hanging on.. I am afraid mine will go the sameway.. Its still not looking like i think it should..
Anyway if this thing dies is it possible it could hurt my tank? I lowered my skimmer to make it skim more.. :help:

S

scoobs

Atlest you cant see any "teeth" from the skel on mine its still full...

usinkit

I have an elegence for about 3 weeks now and its doing great. I keep my alkalinity around 9.6 to 10.6 dkh and my calcium around 400-430. I dont think it will effect your tanks water chemistry if it dies. What is your alk and calcium numbers? Heres a picture of mine.

shoreliner11

It all depends what size of tank you have. Dead/dieing flesh is going to contribute to the nutrient input into your tank. If it looks to be going south, and you're pretty sure its not going to come back I'd think about taking it out of there. JMO But I'd at least wait until a large portion of the flesh is gone. You'd be surprised how much corals can turn around.
Good on ya
Aaron

pclown

I have heard that they dont do well at all and none of my 4 LFS sells them anymore.
Good Luck with it but I would not go out and buy another one.

jhebi

I agree with PC, they are hard to keep, but I guess I got luck because I myself have one for couple weeks and is doing great.....I feed mine mysis and cyclopezee frozen sometimes......Here is a pic

jhebi

Nobody is judging sucess, I am just telling him that for the weeks I had is doing pretty well....Sometimes you judge that everything will do well, but somethings may happen and everything could die in a second....I may have for couple years, or couple weeks, but the weeks I had it, is doing well......I never said that they are EASY to keep.....

S

scoobs

I honestly think i just got a unhealthy coral.. If my lfs done it? I dont know.. But today I came in and it looks REALLY bad.. im about to take it out.. here goes 100 bucks down the freaken drain

usinkit

jhebi, I agree!!! I pretty much know my elegence is going to thrive after a couple of weeks. I know basically when something isnt going to make it in my tank in the first few days.

S

scoobs

Well.. after i turn my lights on i can tell its coming out.. BUT.. still just dont look right.. but its not dead.. so i just cant stand killing it

S

scoobs

Ok Ok.. Lights been on a couple hours now and this coral.. LOOKS AMAZING.. I mean wtf? Im getting confused..

pclown

Most people that I know that has lost them usally will see it start to go bad after 3 or 4 months and it takes a couple of months to die. I have a friend now who has had one for about 6 months and it has start to wither, it does not even look close to what it did a few months ago.
I like them but i am going to wait until I here about more people having long term success.
Good luck!

pclown

My friends died yesterday
I remember how good it look and it was very nice. He has a great looking 210g tank. Everything else looks wonderful but he could not keep it.
If anyone that currently has one and kept one for a year or more could you please chime in. I would like to hear some success stories.

sufunk

Heres mine, looking and eating good so far. Has only been 1 month though, so im in the same boat as you guys. Waiting with fingers crossed that it does well

mudplayerx

One of the reasons elegance corals do not do well is due to the fact that if they get a tear in their flesh (very easy to do), they generally do not recover and eventually die. Collectors very often doom the elegance corals with rough handling before you even buy them.

S

scoobs

Well i had mine in rock work.. placed in on sand a few days back and its looking much better..
anyway i hope for he best.

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Scoobs
Well i had mine in rock work.. placed in on sand a few days back and its looking much better..
anyway i hope for he best.
Best of luck to you and your coral. Elegance corals are very very beautiful!