eliminating aiptasia

joshradio

• yeah i had a copper banded for almost 5 weeks and came in one day after work and BAM! dead, being nibbled on by my cleanup crew!
    • 6 peppermints and slowly they started disappearing... no visible dissipation of the aiptasia and now none can be found...
    joe's juiced the hell out of it, injected as much lemon juice i could without throwing my tank off...
im at my wits end!! its as if I have a resistant strain or maybe a healthier than normal tank and it makes them more hardy??? I dunno...

cowfishadmirer

I am having the exact same issue. At first, I thought that they were pretty cool, then, they took over. I have used Joe's juice and that only seems to make it worse in the long run. I have also done quite a bit of research on this one. When you inject the tubes, the heads release the planula which are like babies. I just started using Aiptasia-X 2 days ago. It has already killed all that I have applied it to. Best of luck to you

natclanwy

"When you inject the tubes"
I don't know if this is actually what you are doing but if you are trying to inject the solution into the aiptasia that would be the cause of your problem with it spreading and poor success rate. You apply Joes Juice the same way your apply Aiptasia-X, the aiptasia think it is food and will ingest it on their own no need to force feed it to them. Also make sure your pumps and powerheads are off and leave them off for about 20min after finish treating the aiptasia.

C

cavan

lol when i first started saltwater i seen some of them on a live rock in a pet store and thought they where cool. the owner sold me the rock at a steal ( i thought); sorry sucker didn't tell me what they where. he had a tank of them and was breeding them and selling them. i hope he went out of bussness!!! i figured out what they where and got red of them berfore they because a big problem. as far along as you are with them i say sell your corals and let them party on!!!
sorry just kidding
...good luck
...thats a mess!!!

C

calvertbill

I responded to a thread somewhere on here so I tried it's advise.
I sucked out tank water with a turkey baster and boiled it. Then I squirted it back into the aiptasia.
It looks dead, but I just did it a few hours ago. Let's see what tomorrow brings!

bonkuba

I had quite the Aptasia farm before I knew what was going on......we thought it was pretty at first....haha

I used a few different methods....nothing worked. The shrimp got full after the first 100 they ate

The only thing that worked was aptasia X. The suckers literally swelled up in seconds and burst......I killed over 90% the first night.
I only have a few left now......I highly recommend it. Keep in mind though if there is one thing I have learned over the years on this board is that not everything that seems to work in someone else's tank will work as great in yours.......if it was easy anyone would have a reef tank (I keep telling myself that...haha!).
Good luck!!!

icebergsmoothi

i have always used pepermint shrimp i actually have 6 in my 55 lol but if they fail to get all use lemon juice in a syringe is all it does work and cheap too you will see them start disapearing fast i had around 100 in my 55 gal then after a month of pepermint shrimp i had half that then i injected the lemon juice like i said and within a week they were all dead

snakeblitz33

Caribbean Peppermint Shrimp, Lysmata wurdemanni, are pretty much the only peppermints that will eat aiptasia.
That's why peppermint shrimp are a 50/50 chance, depending if you buy atlantic or caribbean. FYI. :D