elusive peppermint shrimp?

sturner

Hi guys. Tuesday night I added seven (small) peppermint shrimp to my tank, and I haven't seen them since! Are these shrimp that secretive, or were they just a tasty snack for my fish? I've looked for what seems like hours now, even got out the flashlight last night and looked. I haven't seen molts, shells, leftovers pieces, nothing! It's as if they vanished! Are any of these known to eat shrimp? They were all supposed to be reef safe!

percula
royal gamma
green damsels
lawnmower blenny
pink blue spot goby
hermits
snails
sally lightfoot
emerald crabs

pakora

I have 10 peppermint shrimp in my 10 gallon and I see them all the time everytime. When I throw food anything that gets to the bottom is ravaged by the peppermint shrimp. They molt like crazy and are always visible for me. I know its a 10g but you should see them!

m0nk

This type of shrimp likes to hang out in the rock-work and rarely come out unless feeding or something. You might not see them much at all. I don't know about the sally-light-foot but the others shouldn't touch them.

oniel21

In a 29 you should be able to see them... I only have one in a 55 and I see him often. How much rock do you have? Mine hangs upside down on my rock all the time and it's sometimes difficult to see him. Do you watch the tank during feeding? I don't think any of your stocklist would mess with them.

earlybird

I agree you should be able to see them. Mine would come out frome time to time and would try to push my fish away at feeding time.

sturner

I do have alot of hiding places in the rock, several caves, etc, that I can't see into. I was just worried because I thought I saw an antenna in the royal gammas mouth after I put them in, but couldn't really tell. I watch intently when I feed, everything gets really active, but still haven't seen the shrimp.

m0nk

Well, the peppermint shrimp I have ( and have had ) have stayed relatively hidden except when feeding, but I also have a fair amount of rockwork. Another thing to keep in mind is that if you just added them on Tuesday they might be hiding because they're stressed from moving into a new environment, sorta the way new fish hide. I doubt a royal gramma would try and eat one, mine doesn't pay any attention to the inverts; only the other fish that try to invade his territory.

sturner

Thanks, when I went home at lunch and feed the fish (regular feeding time) I looked again, still no sign. I have one large rock that is almost completly hollow, and I saw several go under it when I put them in. Hopefully they will soon come out. I was hoping they would start eating the few aptasia that have appeared. Just curious, but what size are peppermint shrimp usually? These that came from SWF were in my opinion very small ranging from 1/4" to maybe 3/4" (body length).

spanko

With mine, Night time is the Right time to see them. That and at feeding the coral time. Seems I can't keep the little bugger away from the corals that I am trying to target feed.

m0nk

Originally Posted by sturner
Thanks, when I went home at lunch and feed the fish (regular feeding time) I looked again, still no sign. I have one large rock that is almost completly hollow, and I saw several go under it when I put them in. Hopefully they will soon come out. I was hoping they would start eating the few aptasia that have appeared. Just curious, but what size are peppermint shrimp usually? These that came from SWF were in my opinion very small ranging from 1/4" to maybe 3/4" (body length).
Mine is about 1 1/2 inches.

i have 7 peppermints and i see them daily. i feed them once a day and they wait for me near the glass. i have them eating out of my hand some times. during night or day they are always out in the open in my tank.