Emerald crab bad for corals?

kim11

I know everyone says emerald crabs are coral safe but mine has not left the new frog spawn coral. Hes been on it for 4 days. A while back I actually caught him carrying a frag that was glued down and it died. Anyone have suggestions?

S

suv

I have had several emrald crabs, and never had a single problem w/ them.

silverdak

I have had 2 emeralds now... ya they picked at my corals a little... but never killed or destroyed them or anything. they were just a pain in the A-- cuz they would knock everything off of where I put it lol

mr_x

i've had emeralds and porcelain crabs. i don't care much about their "cleanup" capability..i just like them in the tank to watch. i've seen large emeralds picking at corals, but never to the point of killing one.
i had a giant emerald(giant to me is about a half dollar sized), who liked to hang upside down on my pink birdsnest colony. he never bothered it though...as a matter of fact, all polyps were out on every branch. even the ones he was grasping. look...i snapped a pic-

i really believe they are as reef safe as a crab can be.

silverdak

ya... on a scale of 1 to 10 there clean up ability would be like a 2 lol they are SOOO cool to watch tho! mine always came to the front when i walked by, and when I put a finger up in front they would snap once or twice then smarten up and realize there is glass lol

silverdak

Originally Posted by kim11
http:///forum/post/2769132
Thats how mine hangs on the frog spawn. I will leave him unless the coral starts to die.
ya that's the best thing to do, if it gets to be picking a lot just take it out and bring it to your LFS

jsl

Originally Posted by kim11
http:///forum/post/2768456
I know everyone says emerald crabs are coral safe but mine has not left the new frog spawn coral. Hes been on it for 4 days. A while back I actually caught him carrying a frag that was glued down and it died. Anyone have suggestions?
IMO The frogspawn is newly introduced and stressed. When corals are stressed, they release some chemicals that attracts the clean up crew.

1knight164

I had emeralds before. Didn't touch the coral but nipped away at the coraline on my rock leaving a lot of white. But they are pretty cool to watch, as others have mentioned.

snakeblitz33

I have always had emeralds, and I have found them to be nothing more then awesome. some are sedentary, others aren't. Some eat algaes really well, and others could care less. I've never ever seen one do anything harmful to a coral or invert.
just my $0.02

keebler

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2770003
I have always had emeralds, and I have found them to be nothing more then awesome. some are sedentary, others aren't. Some eat algaes really well, and others could care less. I've never ever seen one do anything harmful to a coral or invert.
just my $0.02
Cool. What about porcelain crabs?

aztec reef

Most Crabs thrive living on anenomes &/or coral's bases . porcelain, boxer, emeral,mithrax, lissocarcinuslaevis, pea crabs ect... This is where calcium carbonate dissolves the fastes, thus resulting in the perfect domicile for crabs..