emerald crab question(s)

two934s

Hey all,
Got a few questions about emerald crabs.
1. How often do they molt? We have had ours for 3-4 months at least and it hasn't molted once.
2. Our crab has been eating parts of our coral -- I know they are supposed to eat algae, but why is it eating the coral? We have plenty of algae -- is he just different? Anything else we could possibly feed him to save our coral?
Thanks!
Tim

snipe

Have you actually witnessed him munching on it I have never heard of emeralds doing this. Also they molt about once a month and they may hide when doing this I know my shrimp have molted but I have yet to see there exo-skelletin. I feed mine a small peice of shrimp or squid daily he seems to have his meat and while he waits for tomorrow to role around he eats algea.

big boy69

I have one in my 58 with about 60lbs of rock.
I think i seen him 3 times since i got him over a month ago?
I also have one of those fire red crabs, i see him pretty often. Haven't seen them munching on any corals.

armlocker

ive got 2 in my 35 gal, see them both every day and have not seen a molt from either of them ever (had them for 5 mos.) I see a molt from my cleaner shrimp about every 3 weeks.

big boy69

I came home from work yesterday and found my fire red and one of my emerald crabs dead????
What could that be from???
My water readings fro Ammonia, Nitrate and Nitrites are good.

misty7850

I have two emeralds in my 30 gallon, I have seen them on my corals, but not eating the corals, just eating algae that has settled on them. I have not seen my emeralds molt (have had them 3 months). I have seen my shrimp (peppermint) molt and have seen the exoskeletons. I have also seen the actual molting process. its amazing to watch.. After they are done molting they go hide in the rocks untill they get there harder shells back.