Emerald Crab

So do they really have a taste for bubble algae? Cause i just discovered some........
I have also heard that they can fight with other emerald crabs? Not that i will get more than one, i was just wondering. And they are suppose to move very slow!! Which has nothing to do with what im asking......

kanicky

I have two Emerald Crabs and they're never really near each other. They keep to themselves and pick invisible detritus specks off the rocks and sand. They will eat bubble algae and will do fine with other crabs.
They're just as fast as any other crab, but only really move fast when something startles them.
I love mine :)

coolguy818

I actually saw a pretty interesting thing 2 days ago.
Has anyone seen an Emerald Crab Spray out eggs from his underbelly?
That was an interesting spectacle. It sprayed for about a good 10 minutes.
Does anyone out there actually think that these could hatch and I would have a tank full of Emerald Crabs?

socal57che

My emeralds never touched bubble algae, but they are super cool and I think you should have one for that reason alone. I believe my trigger ate both of mine so I haven't replaced them. (before they went missing I noticed that they were missing various appendages)

twogirls

we have a 72 gallon tank with 6 emeralds. I've seen two of the males "fighting" once as a female ran away (typical). but they eventually let eachother go and were both fine. they usually leave eachother be.

bigskyreef

I have several small emerald crabs. They don't seem to really fight much, at least not in a damaging way. They each sort of maintain a "territory" of their own. They will go to town on algae. They don't interact much with anything else (hermits, shrimp, snails, fish) they just focus on picking and eating. And, yes, they will eat bubble algae very happily.

quakstar

I have 6 emeralds in my tank I paid for and have slowly seen more come out as well very small ones... so there is always a chance that the babies could live most inverts though are raised basically the same way as clownfish with rotifers and such small organism atleast that is the impression i am under... I have a mated pair of coral bandeds in my refuge that are getting ready to pop tonight i bought some rotifeast to hope to keep some of the babies alive in a circular tank. but i don't know if the rotifeast will work as good as a rotifer culture
but yeah gets some emerald crabs they are great fun

kanicky

Here's something funny to try and fascinating to watch... (unless I'm the only marine aquaria geek that finds things like this funny and fascinating!)
Put a small-necked clam in the tank (thawed and partially open) and watch your Emerald Crabs go to town on it.
I put one in last night for P. Diddy, and as soon as it hit the water in my scooper, my Emerald Crabs crawled off their rock and sat in sand, practically begging for me to set it down. As soon as the clam hit the sand, one of them was on his back, underneath it, and was "digging" in.
It is so neat to watch, because it kind of reminds you of Homer Simpson or something, and they are completely oblivious to anything else around them.
I have a video of the first time I fed a clam a couple of weeks ago and you can see the Emerald Crab on his back, feasting... I'll have to post it here :happyfish