Emerald crabs.

stig

I have the beginnings of bubble algae on one piece of live rock and I've been reading that, if it gets out of control, then an emerald crab will eat it.
My fish are all kind of small. Two of them are bottom dwellers: a small scooter blenny and a very small goby(white with orange stripes and a round thing with a black circle in it that comes out the top of its body).
2 questions:
(1) Will an amerald crab hurt either of these fish? Or my 6 line wrasse for that matter?
(2) Does anyone know what kind of fish this goby is? Can't find it anywhere. It stays in the same place most of the time, doesn't seem very good at swimming(LOL) and, for it's size, is a feisty little guy.
Thanks in advance.

angelfish

Emerald crabs usually stay in hiding until nite-time and as far as the scooter, the emerald crab shouldn't hurt him at all. How big is your white goby? I was thinking that it might be a sand sifter goby or that's what the lfs called it.
Angel

stig

Thanks for the reply.
It's about an inch long. It's not a sand sifter. Sand sifters swim and this guy just sits on the bottom and only hovers a little above the gravel to grab food or to scare away any fish that comes too close.
It reminds me a little of a catalina goby but it's white with about 6 orange stripes. It has this roundish "fin" that it sticks up out of its body a lot - it's kind of clear with a green edge, green spots and a black circle near the bottom. It looks really cool.
Any ideas?

stig

Thanks for the replies. I think it's as small as a catalina although my lfs has one that's about double the size of the one I have.
If all else fails I'll go and ask my lfs for the Latin and then maybe you guys will know. I don't like having fish that I don't know the name for.
A picture would be cool.
My e-mail address is stig@hsa.att.ne.jp

stig

I do believe you have got the little guy from my description. Thank you very much Pisces38. That's the guy!! Mystery solved; it's a Randall's Shrimp Goby.
Cool fish: very small and fragile looking but he takes no ---- from anyone (as long as it's not too big), I just have to make sure the food sinks low enough for him to get to.
Thanks for the picture

stig

Pisces,
I've had him for about 2.5 months. As far as I remember he ate pretty much straight away. As I said though, you have to make sure the food sinks low enough for him to hover up and get it.
Pretty expensive for such a small fish
...Y3800 which works out to about $32.
This is Japan though.
Another question....I don't think I've ever seen an emerald crab in my lfs. What do they look like and how big do they get?