emerald crabs

dhe420

Are emerald crabs reef safe. I had this piece of rock covered with gorgeous ORANGE coraline algae and he ate it all in 5 minutes. WHATS THE DEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emeralds are reef safe. Have two and have never seen them eat coraline , although I imagine they would if there wasnt anything else in the tank for them to munch on. Beleive all crabs are opportunists and if need be will resort to eating just about anything.

jacksonpt

Marauder is right... typically emeralds are reef safe, but as with most crabs... they are basically the goats of the sea... they'll take whatever they can get if their main diet is not available.

nm reef

I have 2 emeralds in my 55 reef and they munch on lots of stuff but have never damaged my coraline....and its exploding everywhere......rock ...glass...plastic powerheads......never have I seen them munchin coraline........

adrian

I have had several Emeralds over the years and I would have to say at least half of them if not more were not reef safe. I had one eat an infestation of valonia overnight and then the next day it started eating a Favia sp. They definetely will eat coralline, and they can munch on corals, the above is not the only instance Ive seen them ripping, tearing, eating coral tissue. Its just the luck of the draw with Mithrax crabs. It may depend on where they are collected and or what --- they are.
[ May 31, 2001: Message edited by: ADRON420 ]

mithrax

Ehem...I sometimes see some of my emerald crabs picking on the edge of my coralline algae but they never tried to finish the whole patch. What's amazing though is how fast they consumed my bubble algae which practically took over my entire tank. Now I want to get more bubble algae for them to eat. BTW it seems 'tis the season to be spawning, I saw two of them with greenish eggs under their bellies. :)

tnreef

I have 4 in my 55 withno problems but 1. The biggest 1 ate my Xenia. I know he did because that is where I found him. Needless to say he is no longer part of my reef. The Xenia is starting to recover after 3 weeks now and I do not have a problem with the smaller ones.
HTH Darryl