emerald crabs

rhonda

we have a 125 and lately we have sheets of green algae on the sand. We have 2 snails that don't eat it, lights on only 6 hrs a day and feed only 1x daily. We have heard that emerald crabs are good on green algae, but will they eat our corals? and how many should we get? We did a water change and the algae was on the sand the next day. All our readings are coming out normal. :)

mlm

I have 4 of them in a 55 gallon reef and I have no trouble at all with them eating corals. They are very hard workers.

predator

No emeralds will not eat your corals.They are reef safe and love algea.But I'v never seen one eat it off sand.I'm sure there are some that have or do.I personally have 4 in my 75 reef.Look into some conchs or some sifting sand starfish.I have 4 of those stars and 10 conchs(5 fighting and 5 queen).They do a great job at leeping my algea of the sand.
Also,how long has your tank been set up?It sounds like a diatom bloom to me but I'm not that experianced in the grand scheme of things.

dad

I would get 4 emeralds!
They are very reef safe and a nice addition to any tank.
also get a sand star.
for a 125g you really need more snails.
I would get at least 10 more, maybe even 20?
If you have no scarlets: get some.
figure out what you need and order them here.
they will save you alot of money in the long run! ;)

thereefer

I have six of these workers in my tank. They have never damaged any of my corals. They do knock some small ones of thier ledges every now and then but that is minor. They are very active and fun to watch. I never see them eating off the sand, only of the live rock. You need many mor snails... at least 15 more.

rmd8110

I have 4 of them in my 125. They're great! Never even touched the sand tho as far as i've seen. They are always on the rocks. I got them mainly because i heard they were great for bubble algae. But they haven't touched it yet! Go figure. But they eat other stuff it seems like 24/7. Good luck!

mal

I have 4 emeralds in my reef. I did catch one of them picking at my galaxea once. I just moved the coral, no further problems. They decimated my bubble algae. I don't see it anywhere. A lawn mower blenny may help with algae on the sand. As previously mentioned I would also get a sand sifter star and some more snails and hermits.