emerald crabs

r1v2c

I currently have 2 emerald crabs, a green and red one. I also have a slight outbreak of bubble algea (reason for me getting the crabs).
I've had the crabs for about a month now and they don't really seem to be helping the situation ... can anyone shed some light? I though they were supposed to munch on all the bubble algea??
Also, can anyone confirm if the red species is more aggressive then the green. My red crab seems to have a little bit of an attitude. Since i added him one of my trochus snails turned up dead and I also saw my crab attack and start eating a ricordia ... until i stopped him. I spotfeed the squid and shrimpat least 1-2 times per week ... what's his problem???

jackri

I've never heard of a red emerald crab (sounds like an oxymoron red/emerald..)
Anyways.. they may eat small bubble algae or new ones from forming but I've found the best way to weed back the bubble algae is:
1. Do not pop any existing ones in the tank
2. Use the hose portion without the big end when doing a water change and suck up individual bubble aglae -- control the water flow so you can take your time -- and use the small hose portion to work the bubble algae out. If they happen to break you can suck up that area of water as well.
I've gone from thousands to dozens doing this. Yes I have emerald crabs but how effective they are is very questionable.

r1v2c

red mithrax crab (pic from google)...
also, the bubble algea is really stuck to my LR.... i've tried to siphon it up but it doesn't work !?!?!

uneverno

I have the same issue. Like jackri said, use the siphon to work them out. If they pop, the spores will get sucked out.
Emeralds may get the little bubbles, but IME they do nothing for the big ones.

addicted2

I have actually picked the bubble algae off my rock without breaking them...I just hold them lightly between my fingers and twist back and forth until they come off...I have gotten rid of the 6 I had in my tank that way without breaking them.