Emerald Crabs...

timo

Is there any thing I can supplement their diet, as I beleive the two I added recently are eating more than I want them to... My reef is more important to me than they are, so... Feed them specifically or take 'em back???

My emeralds liked caulerpa when I HAD some in my tank. They did a real number on it. Also they will eat just about anything I feed my fish. They come running to the front of the tank at feeding time waiting for the scraps. Otherwise they scour the LR.
MCF

timo

Thanks... Yea, they seem to be eating the "dusters" off my veriforms(sp?) and, like Maroonclownfan, ate to extinction my caulerpa... anyway that all distressed me.:( I mean, they're not devistating the tank, just getting rid of some stuff I got used to.

michaeltx

depdns on how big they are as to what they will go after. the bigger they get they can go after fish and other inverts small the stay to algae and pickins off the rock. the one I have is so bog and mean I banished him to my aggressive tank with puffers and (did have ) a huma huma trigger. the crab has managed to fight all them off and lives happily with the puffers now. flying out when I feed the puffers to grab his meal and eats right there with them,
Mike

timo

Well I utilized the fleeting oppertunity to remove it last night. Boy, was he tough to pry off the rock. I took a few nips but as of now he stands alone. I like the idea of sending it to an aggressive tank, come Saturday, a 55 with 3 triggers is coming it's way!!!

michaeltx

if you do put him in with the triggers put him in at night he will have more off a chance then during the day. he will go to the rocks then slowly start coming out of them.
or trade him into the LFS is another idea get some of your money back for the devil LOL
Mike

timo

Thanks, Mike... I'll add him at lights out. 5 bucks...One LFS (not the one I got it at) suggested I bring it in and get to watch it get eaten by their octopus! Just the same, I have to keep it out of the tank till Saturday.

ekclark

I have three and they were harmless...until I caught one eating some coral yesterday. I do not plan on killing it or anything, after all I invited him to my tank. He did not eat all the coral, but munched it around the edges. Trade yours in, someone will be happy to have him.

blondenaso1

The only complaint I have is that they have the tendency to knock over any coral frag that I have not yet firmly glued in placed. but what are you gonna do? They keep the tank clean and the bubble algae under control.

Drop them some sinking pellet type food, they will eat all types. I have fed mine shrimp pellets, bottom feeding fish pellets and carnivore pellets. They will eat just about anything you drop in for them. I target feed mine like this a once or twice a week, just to keep them from exploring too 'much' into 'new' things for food. They behave perfectly well so far.
-Christine

jmesmcm

Mine love the seaa weed selects I put in the tank each day for my tang but watch out as they get bigger. I caught one monstosity of an emerald today eating my leather coral :mad: which I had been wondering why it was looking stressed lately. Now I have to catch the offender and the other large emerald and get rid of them. Shouldn't be too hard since they immediately race over whener the seaweed is put into the tank.

timo

Nope... not getting rid of him, just moving it to a FO tank. I put it in a 20g tonight that will have fish Saturday. He looks so lonely:(
but as of now, when I go to my 30g reef, and see the destruction, I really don't care so much. He'll be OK.:cool: