emerald eatting my cleaner

pebbles

I saw the emerald about a week ago with one of the cleaner shrimps antenna, this morning the shrimp didnt have eyes or claws I thought it was dead but it was moving it's in the part of the tank that I couldnt get to & he's pretty big so I thought I better get him out. I just looked in there & the emerald is eatting him. Now I feed the emerald everyday or so with a piece of nori sheet he comes out & takes it from me no problem, on this site & everywhere else I looked it says Diet: Algae, Flake, Algae Sheets so what's the deal??? I really liked the cleaner!!!!! I'm sooooo Mad. :mad:

schneidts

Gee, sorry to hear about that. All my emeralds have always been well behaved. My emeralds will also hand feed the meaty foods I feed others in the tank, though.

acrylic300

I just removed my emerald crap for nipping at corals. I have seen him try to grab my Cleaner Shrimp's antanae also. IMO it defeats the purpose of having janitors if you have to feed them.
Sorry for your loss

pebbles

I have heard that emeralds dont live long in most tanks so I figure if I feed him a little here & there maybe he would live longer plus I figured it woud keep him from bothering others.

mudplayerx

You sure you guys have emerald crabs? Mine is shy as heck and pretty much runs and hides when anything gets near it.

sweetdawn

i saw one kill a cleaner shrimp at a lfs. i didnt get one for the longest time till I had an algea problem. he is small and doesnt bother anyone. each animal is different some are nice others are homicidal maniacs

feixjai

well today i noticed that my cleaner shrimp was molted and saw my emarld eatting the shedded skin. my emarld is about a little smaller than 1 inch

pebbles

I thought that maybe that was what happened since the molted skin looks real but it's been 4 days & no sign of the cleaner & that night I found the peppermint dead also. I thought maybe they were trying to molt when the emerald killed them. :0(

mdog30001

i had an emerald and he ate some of my xenia. He also snipped at all my fish when they swam past. I decided to take him back to the lfs, and when i went to get him out he was going for my pygmy angle. I saved the angle and took the crab out. He was extremely aggressive. My lfs said that it was a male, so im guessin that the people with problems have males and the people with peacefull shy crabs have females.

schneidts

What else do you have in the tank? I just ask because it's possible something else killed the shrimp, and the emerald is just getting the scraps. I could be wrong, though...

mitzel

my emerald is so mellow. he gave my chocolet chip star a nip one day but only when it tried to climb over his hide out. It does eat frozen krill but it doesn't get agresive over it .

pebbles

sorry didnt see reply. I have a coral beauty blenny clowns, peppermint shrimp, brown brittle hermits & snails fighting conch that's it, I'm thinking maybe the cleaner tried to molt??? I have no Idea but one of my peppermints got eatten also.

crazyzeus1

Originally Posted by mdog30001
i had an emerald and he ate some of my xenia. He also snipped at all my fish when they swam past. I decided to take him back to the lfs, and when i went to get him out he was going for my pygmy angle. I saved the angle and took the crab out. He was extremely aggressive. My lfs said that it was a male, so im guessin that the people with problems have males and the people with peacefull shy crabs have females.
We FINALLY caught one of our emeralds...the biggest of our crew & he's DESTROYED our xenias. Luckily, they're growing back like weeds!