Emerald Green crap

mytank

I took a break, not by choice for the aquarium and thought the hubby was taking care of the tank and he was not. Now I am ACTIVELY cleaning it up and getting back on the water change schedules. I had to trash all but about 25 pounds of live rock away. So I have an 80 gallon tank with 25 lbs of live rock. Did a MAJOR water change 1 week ago and planning on doing another one this weekend. Last week scraped the walls from alge and coralline. Now on the sand I have emerald green fuzz over the whole bottom. I use water that I get from the aquatic store that is the correct form, sorry not able to think of the terms right now. I currently run a 404 fluval, protien skimmer, 4 power heads and a UV sterlizer. I know I need a new filter system (maybe that will be with the tax refund that bush has promised
) What causes the emerald green carpet and how can i avoid it.

mytank

Hope, it looks like bright green velour, not hairy or stringy at all. I scooped some out with a net and it balls up. But I need to know what's causing it so hopefully I can stop it. It's almost like you take a highlighter and hightlight the sand.

mie

Why did you have to scrap the rock? Did you just kill it and are going to reuse it? I am confused.

mytank

I scrapped the rock about 1 year ago had a major hair algae problem that would not go away and the hubby had the idea of power washing the rock and that did not work. Then I got called out of town to take care of an ill parent and now I am starting basically all over again.

mytank

That kinda looks like it and probably is cyanoalgae. So in understanding to get rid of it all I would need to do are water changes like once a week? and check for phos. This may be a dumb question, but how are phosphates leeched into the tank if my water I add has zero. I want to be a success at this and so far am just throwing money out the door with every little gadget and everything else. Sorry to vent.

wangotango

The only way to get rid cyanobacteria is to find the source. Frequent waterchanges, phosphate and nitrate tests would be good. You could also be getting phosphate from certain foods.
How old are your bulbs?
-Justin