Emerald saves Green Stars!!!!

zbrook1

A while back I posted a question about this red color on the underlying skin to my colony of green stars and came up blank......but today I find my Emeral crab cleaning this red substance off the underlying skin of the green stars and low and behold they are coming back better than before.I dont think this red stuff is cyno because the colony has some pretty heavy flow on them and I tried to blow it off with a turkey baster and it did not move,plus there is no sign of cyno in my tank anywhere(refugium and real good flow).I feel this must be some kind of algae or the Emerald would not eat it,would it. If anybody knows what this red stuff is or how to stop it from coming back please let me know.I dont care what some folks say about Green Emeralds but mine keeps algea at bay and saves corals,what else could you ask for.

teen

well im pretty sure nothing eats cyno. do u have fish in there? maybe some sort of snail, fish, or crab eggs?

zbrook1

Yes I have fish in the tank but I dont think it is caused buy any of my inverts because it covered a good portion of my colony skin and it kind of peeled off when the crab was eating it. I feel it must be some kind af algea but what kind, and why only the green stars?

ssweet1

It may be a type of sponge, I have had blue sponge grow and smother a small area of green star polyps. Now if I see it start to grow I scrape or pick it off. Wait until the lights are off and the polyps have closed then you can get a better look at what the red stuff is and see if you can pick it off. Carrie