Emereld Crab Problem??

spuds

OK I just bought two emereld crabs hoping one of them will start removing the bubble algae in my tank. After coming home and closely looking at them, I noticed that one of them only had one claw! Will the other claw grow back? Or will I just be stuck with a one claw crab?

justinx

well . . . one of two things will happen. The crab will molt and regrow a new claw. OR the two will fight before he molts. If this happens, the singlehander will probably lose, if you catch my drift.

T

thomas712

I got 5 emerals very recently and one came without a claw, keeping an eye on him for when he molts to see what happens.
Thomas

spuds

Hmm very interesting indeed. Thanks guys, Ill also keep everyone posted to see what happens.

leboeuf

same situation here, the claw reappeared after the first molt. It was smaller than he molted again and restored it to its former state. I just witnessed the same thing with my sally but it was his leg instead. Remarkable survival skills.

gregvabch

one of my emeralds broke the tip off of one of his claws, and when it grew back it came in white.

spuds

Thats what I like about this hobby, nothing ever stays the same. You never know whats going to happen!

crazy8

With all this molting going on, what do you do with the molts? Leave them in the tank or fish them out? Just curious cause I plan on getting a bunch of scarlets next week.
Also, for a 55 gal DSB can I handle a 10 pack of scarlets and 20 of the cerith (sp?) snails as my cleaners? I wanted a cleaner shrimp too, but not sure if I will have the algae to support everything.

T

thomas712

Crazy8
Personally I leave the molts, some take them out, up to you.
If you want to add the cleaner shrmip go for it, he's not much of an algea eater anyway, more of an oppertunistic fellow, that will steal food right out of an anemonies mouth, they will take flake or just about anything you put in the tank and eat out of your hand. When I had cleaner shrimp I would give them a littel bit of frozen cocktail shrimp, you should see the greedy little guy hog it up.
Thomas